Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #1

Share |

Is this pex fitting crimped too far back?

Hey there, had someone else crimp some fittings on a couple small pieces of pex for me. Long story short, I just needed these two pieces, dont have the tools, didnt want to spend the money on something I probably wont use any time soon.

Anyway, went to the local Winnelson Plumbing Supply, and they hooked me up with the fittings and pieces I wanted, and said they would crimp it for me as well, but the guy helping me said he wasnt the best in the world at it.

The crimp worked fine on the go-nogo gauge, but as I look at it, it seems like it almost might be too far back.

Sorry for the strange picture, but its the best I could do to show you all:

He said he crimped as far forward as he could, but the crimp tool kept hitting the plastic on the faucet fitting and prohibiting forward progress.

In my hand it looks like the crimp ring clears the first ridge but just barely.

I dont know much about this sort of stuff, just watched a lot of youtube videos and read some forums haha. Just enough knowledge to be dangerous

Thoughts? Both pieces turned out basically the same.
littlehoov87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

Looks fine to me, there's at least three ridges under the clamp.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #3

I wouldn't put my name on it. Ring should be no more than 1/8 to1/4 " from fitting.
http://www.pexuniverse.com/content/h...g-installation
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Oh a debate!

Well, I measured both of them, the one not pictured is under a 1/4in away from the fitting, so should be fine even within the specs VIPlumber put out there. I can write his name on that one

The one in the picture is just over a 1/4 inch...by "one of those little black marks" on the tape as my grandpa would say.

I could cut it off and have it redone most likely, but I think most anyone will have the same problems getting it much closer. Even the tool in VIPlumbers link looks like parts of it would hit the "bell" on that fitting and not allow the tool to slide on up.

Also, I know there are no certainties, but in a situation where a crimp is not placed properly, would it be a slow leak? Or catastrophic failure? Am I going to be alerted by hearing drips in the pan underneath my sink? Or will I come home from work one day to find a flood and a 1/2 inch line flopping around under the sink spraying water? Hypothetically.
littlehoov87 is offline   Reply With Quote