DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pex Crimper on Polybutelyne

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AZA 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

I have purchased a home that still has the old gray polybutelyne plumbing system.

I will eventually change out the entire piping sytem as I am well aware as to the problems with this kind of pipe. Thats a no brainer there and was a factor in purchasing this home.

My question is, as my experience with Copper, PVC, CPVC and PEX is okay, can I use a PEX crimp ring and fittings/valves on Polybutelyne as a temporary fix? (6 months to a year). I am really not familiar with PolyBute.

I am installing a new dishwasher and given I dont have much room to work in and I dont like the idea of a standard screw ring/compression feeder valves for the fix.

I'd appreciate any insights or experiences.

Thanks so very much!

#2 ·
Do not use standard pex fitting on the PB. They sell a tranxition fitting (coupling ) from PEX to PB. It has a standard black crimp ring for the PEX side and a copper colored crimp ring for the PB side. Use your standard PEX crimper on both rings. The big box stores carry the fitting (comes packed with the correct crimp rings).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.