Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pex or copper

Im remodeling my washroom, 2nd floor and not sure which was to go. I was thinking to go pex, but i keep hearing mix opinions and things i can and canot do. First off i live in Ontario Canada. I keep hearing that your not allowed to have any fittings unless they are accesible, i guess in case you have to change or fix anything. Another concern is that i keep seeing you run a direct line to every fixture from the basement manifold. That would mean 2 hot, 1 for sink 1 for bath, and 3 cold, sink bath and toilet. Would i be able to run pex to under my sink, then use t's to send to the other things i need?

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Pex or copper

Pex does not have to be a manifold system. You can tee off of it. You'll just need to use a larger line (probably 3/4) then have half inch lines coming off it.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #3

Pex or copper

would i still need to use a larger line if my main line coming into my house is 1/2
Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Pex or copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb View Post
would i still need to use a larger line if my main line coming into my house is 1/2
I've never seen 1/2in coming into a house, I've seen people reduce to half inch right after the line comes in (against any code you will find) are you sure about that? Using larger lines wouldn't benefit you in any way in that case but to be code compliant (the rest of your house isn't if it's half inch) you need larger lines. I'm not sure exactly what the codes are about how many fixtures you can run off a 3/4 line though.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #5

Pex or copper

Quote:
...I keep hearing that your not allowed to have any fittings unless they are accesible....
check with your code enforcement agency, hear say MANY times isn't the best source of info. Our county allows connections in wall. Rig up a air gauge and pressure check each run AFTER attaching any fittings or shut off, if it leaks you'll know it while the wall is open. The fittings that are allowed in some areas and not in others are the Sharkbite fittings...I personally will not have one in a wall...but they are cool and have their place, just not in my wall.

Quote:
...i keep seeing you run a direct line to every fixture from the basement manifold. That would mean 2 hot, 1 for sink 1 for bath, and 3 cold, sink bath and toilet. Would i be able to run pex to under my sink, then use t's to send to the other things i need?
You don't have to run a manifold system if you don't want to...it's your choice. Size your lines accordingly and T away.

I chose to in new construction as I wanted to decrease the flushed stool or sink stealing hot water from the shower. In my master bath I have 2 sinks one shower one stool and a bubble tub. The sinks share a hot and cold, with a recirculation hot line on the sink. The shower and bubble tub share a hot and cold, thinking the times they are used together will be slim to none. The stool is on it's own line I could of shared it with the sink...but didn't feel inclined to do so.

Good luck.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #6

Pex or copper

I went to home depot today to look at what they have. For the crimps, they are black, is that ok to use those? someone told me they are still copper. Also can i use pex ends on any of that flexible pipe. One guy showed me some really flexy pipe and told me he used it with push-n-turn fittings, can i use pex fittings on that?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #7

Pex or copper

Quote:
...the crimps, they are black, is that ok to use those? someone told me they are still copper.

Also can i use pex ends on any of that flexible pipe. One guy showed me some really flexy pipe and told me he used it with push-n-turn fittings, can i use pex fittings on that?
More than one brand has black annealed copper rings. Some use the black for PEX and "regular" copper for Polybutylene (PB)...but not all.

You really need to provide more detail than "really flexy pipe", that covers a lot of area. Not sure of your push and turn fitting application...need more info. Be careful of what gets recommended at HD...not known for the most reliable information source.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #8

Pex or copper

the Push in fittings... might be "Shark Bites" they can be used with CPVC Copper and Pex.

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote