Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pex and bathroom remodel

I am in the middle of a bath remodel i completely gutted the guest bathroom ( the one on the left). This way i can make my master bath bigger (next year project)

So i am sure ill be asking some questions.

Pex pipe, if the pipe that goes to everything is 1/2" should i stay with 1/2" pex as well?

And i have seen mixed opinions on pex for the shower part of the bathroom should i just run pex up to the floor than transition to copper and use copper for the shower or just run pex all the way through?

Little more info- I fall under SC codes. Its a crawl space which the easy part of this hopefully, is i plan to replace the subfloor ( about half needs it but i want everything to be even) hopefully that will make repiping a little easier. It was built in the late 70's so copper pipe is getting on the old side everything else is pvc and few pieces of abs

Ill try to get some pics later
Attached Thumbnails
pex and bathroom remodel-before.jpg   pex and bathroom remodel-after.jpg  

ford2fast9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #2

pex and bathroom remodel

also im not exactly sure where i need the pipe for the sink since im just doing a bowl on top and havent decided center or right side of vanity. But is there a measurement on how far i have to come off the vent pipe? Or just as long as its angle correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
pex and bathroom remodel-img_0031.jpg  

Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

pex and bathroom remodel

i like to run 3/4 as close as i can to each fixture then transition to 1/2. nothing wrong with pex in my opinion and if you are always going to be diying plumbing buy the crimp tools and be done with it. and dont loan them out
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #4

pex and bathroom remodel

thanks for the reply i think im gonna buy the tool tomorrow when i pick up the rest of the stuff.

Would you still do the 3/4 pex if the t from the 3/4 to 1/2 copper is before the master shower. Then after the master it goes to the guest?

thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

pex and bathroom remodel

3/4 for all pex until ti's necessary to reduce - and if you have to T out, use 3/4 for that as well.

I did not use 3/4 - I used 1/2 - and am having to redo my plumbing due to water-pressure issues and so forth. Really a buggar!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #6

pex and bathroom remodel

i think ill just do that then, prob run the 3/4 from the 3/4 copper and just t to the 1/2 Copper in master then run pex all the way through the guest. Is the 50 dollar pex tools at lowes any good? ill just be doing this bathroom and the master so im hoping i dont have to spend to get a really good one.

last time i was at lowes when i asked about that tool he just went off about how it would be better and supposly cheaper for me to use the gatorbites fittings for the whole thing...which i guess is ok but i rather not spend 15 dollars a fitting
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

pex and bathroom remodel

The tool required for PEX depends on the fittings you are planning to use. I use Wirsbo PEX, that requires a Wirsbo tool, which is an expander, not a crimper. I purchased the Wirsbo tool for about $300, and have been very happy with it. As for the crimpers, well that must be for a different type of fitting, I would research very carefully before going forward with crimp fittings, as there have been a variety of lawsuits regarding Zurn brass fittings which have failed, and there may be some other issues with crimping PEX.

When I put my shower in, the Kohler instructions were very explicit about NOT using PEX between the temperature control and the shower head. You could (and I did) use PEX up to the shower controller, but they wanted copper between the controller and the shower head. The manual never explained why, but they were explicit about that issue, so you may want to check the manual on your controller before finalizing the installation.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

pex and bathroom remodel

The crimper tool is around $50.00 - for one bathroom sharkbites will cost more than that. For my kid's bathroom I had 6 male adapters, 5 T's, and quite a few elbows - and stops - all of which costed far more than the crimper tool.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #9

pex and bathroom remodel

think im in some trouble.

Wife has the vanity already and the p trap placement is basically directly left of the vent tube right now.

how far to the left or right do i have to go before i can come through the wall? I know i have a lil play with the p trap but not much.Or can i just come strait out the wall?

sorry for the newbie ? i rather not try to move the vent pipe. Thanks

one more ? I bought a halo 6 " can and shower light cover...but now i see the raftor is in my way, directly in the middle. These dome shower lights i see on homedepot, do they require a can or no? thanks may just have to be off center

good news is subfloor is down ( about 2-3 diff levels before now replace with T&G 3/4") all other vent/drainage is done, shower and wall is framed, liner is almost complete its coming!
Attached Thumbnails
pex and bathroom remodel-img_0045.jpg  

Last edited by ford2fast9; 04-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

pex and bathroom remodel

You have about 3-4" of play with a 1-1/2" tubular pvc p-trap. Coming straight out of the wall should be just fine.