Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

So I've called a few supply houses and it seems that everyone sells a different pex ball valve brand. Planning on using Pex B with a Stainless cinch crimp style ring.

I'm looking for a pex-to-pex valve.

Found these on PexSupply but thought the price way cheap, so is the product inferior?
http://www.pexsupply.com/HydroPEX-H0...alve-3771000-p

A local supply house said they carry Matco valves. Depot carries SharkBite brand I think, and I forget what Lowes carries.

Anyone recommend a specific brand that they use and trust, or they all about the same these days?

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

I bought 3/4 x 3/4 pex ball valves by Aqua-Dynamic exactly the same style here in Montreal, Canada for $10 - much more expensive considering that our dollar is now worth the same as the US. I used the stainless steel SurLock pinch clamp crimp rings with an ear-lug that can be removed so the fitting can re-used.

As far as functionality, they work as expected - no leaks, but very sensitive to movement (I accidentally nudged the lever and got an instant flood on the "open" side).

Last edited by profcolli; 01-18-2013 at 03:13 AM.
profcolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,136

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

Where can I find pex ball valves without the big handle? The water heater bypass in my RV uses brass valves with small T-handles. Two of the valves have failed (stem came loose from the ball) so I don't want to replace them with the same brand (something made in Italy).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

Md2 you do own a hack saw and a grinder right? Or a right angle grinder with a metal cut off blade?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 170

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

Thanks for the tips everyone.

With the one I linked, it has mostly positive reviews so I guess it can't be that bad. Its just odd to think it only has a 5 year warranty. I'm sure it will last a ton longer, just would rather see a 20 year warranty or something like that.

I found a Watts brand valve that is near identical to the other. Not sure where Watts stands in terms of brands, but the price is a bit more, and I read on their site it only has a 1 year warranty, ouch.
http://www.faucetdirect.com/watts-0555272-lffbv-pex-1-2-2-piece-lead-free-ball-valve-with-pex-connections/p2006853

The construction of these valves is quite simple so my guess is if they are going to leak they will do it right from the start, or in a long long time.

If anyone knows of another brand they recommend over either of these please share.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,136

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Md2 you do own a hack saw and a grinder right? Or a right angle grinder with a metal cut off blade?
Why yes, I own all of those things. Just never thought of that solution. But since these valves are hidden and only operated twice a year (winterize/dewinterize the RV), cutting down the handles should not be a problem. Thanks.

Upon further research, I found that several companies (Apollo, Legend, Watts, Fastenal) sell brass ball valves with tee handles. Odd that in quite a few years of working in shipboard engine rooms and power plants, I've never actually seen one.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 01-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,470

Pex Ball Valves?Which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Where can I find pex ball valves without the big handle? The water heater bypass in my RV uses brass valves with small T-handles. Two of the valves have failed (stem came loose from the ball) so I don't want to replace them with the same brand (something made in Italy).
Remove the handle.

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote