Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pex

I have to replace the main water line from my well to my house. I was thinking about using pex. Later on, (maybe much later), I will be connecting to city water (about 300 feet or so). Can I also use pex? What size would be best for the 30lbs of well water pressure and also the 60lbs (I'm guessing) of city water pressure? One inch? Inch and a half? If I buy it all at once I can save a little money. I live in NC - freezing pipes are uncommon, but it happens from time to time. Your help is greatly appreciated.

sneech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Pex

Short answer. Yes you can use PEX for service lines. See link below.
http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html

A plumbing supply house should be able to supply you with all the fittings and connectors needed to finish your project.

wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #3

Pex

Cool! Thanks. I think I'll contact the city and ask them what size they connect to.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Pex

Pex can be used underground but the pex fittings are not rated for underground use. Use a full length of pex which will be cumbersome because you will have to use 3/4" at least.

Underground connections can be made using Sharkbite's which are code for burial.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #5

Pex

Thanks. Probably will be using 3/4 ". Anything special I should do with such a long section? (300ft plus).
Old 10-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #6

Pex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneech View Post
Thanks. Probably will be using 3/4 ". Anything special I should do with such a long section? (300ft plus).
Pex CANNOT be left in the sun for more than 30 days total. Make sure that if you get it that you keep it in the shade till you are ready to use it. Don't push it with pex in the sun. I suggest you keep it in the garage or somewhere till you use it, then bury it quick. If you have any that is sticking out of the ground then have insulation over it even if it is not charged.

Had a friend buy a 20 foot stick from me and left it in the sun for 3 months. I told him over and over to get it out of the sun and he never did. He put the pex in under his house and less than a year later it ruptured.

Buy more than you need because it is a pain to come up short.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
DIY'r

Pex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneech View Post
Maybe rent an unwinder too? Like MG said, PEX can be cumbersome, and you can easily end up with a snarl at the spool.. If you've got an equipment rental or plumbing supply house near you they might have one, probably not for too much $/day.

Quote:
Underground connections can be made using Sharkbite's which are code for burial.
Kinda stating the obvious here, but keep the underground connections to as few as possible (or none), so you don't have to dig to troubleshoot.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #8

Pex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Kinda stating the obvious here, but keep the underground connections to as few as possible (or none), so you don't have to dig to troubleshoot.
I guess so. I had to run off and teach a class of EMT wannbe on short notice. That's my excuse and I am sticking with it....

Tags
main line, pex, plumbing, water line