Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Peroxide injection system

I would like to install a Hydrogen Peroxide injection system to my present system to remove the iron and Manganese. Iím not interested in the chlorine comments. Thanks.

What I have. 1.5 cu.ft. Water Softener, pressure tank, jet pump

What Iím looking at:
1.5 cu. ft. Centaur Carbon Filter
Solution tank 15 gal
Stenner pump control module
Stenner water meter
Stenner single head fixed output HP pump (45MPHP2 GPD 3.0)
inline static mixer
Retention tank?--unsure. I have read itís not necessary with peroxide?

Iím a little confused as to which PCM or water meter I should be looking at. If anyone could give some suggestions about all this it would be appreciated!

I have well water and average approx. 6 GPM

Turbidity 30 NTU
Total Alkalinity 330 mg/L
Chloride 33 mg/L
Total Hardness 360 mg/L
Iron 3.7 mg/L
Manganese 330 ug/L
pH 7
Dissolved Solids 540 mg /L
Sulfate 72 mg/L
Zinc 39 ug/L

Thanks,
Sam
Sam1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Water Treatment

35% Food grade Peroxide is a good choice save for finding it from time to time, if you have a place that you can get it down the road it will work.

Like Chlorine it will need some form of contact time, chlorine is 20 minutes times the flow rate for the size of the tank, peroxide is less but a contact tank of some size would be a good idea.

There are say two ways of injection.
When the well comes on the injection pump comes on and injects
Then there is the flow injection, where water flow through a meter sends a pulse to the pump to inject based on the number of pulses.

Simplest is the well pump on and injection pump on, there a contact tank would be a good idea.

The injection based on flow would most likely get around that but would be more costly as that kind of pump and meter are not cheap.

There are formulas for pump stroke and % of peroxide in solution tank but it all comes down to a bit of trial and error because each well and location is different.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah I've already decided on the proportional setup. I can't figure out or don't know how to figure out which meter I should get; 1 pulse, 2 pulse etc. or which PCM(adjustable seconds) I should get.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Most of the meters that I know of just send out a pulse......... just that a pulse for each gallon that it counts.

When I have done the meter controlling the pump injections it is with some thing like a Sematic or Bager meter then a controller then the pump off the controller.

The set ups where Costly because they where on water flows of 25+gallons.

It can be done on your lower flow..

I would say call me but I can not send a pm with my number on this forum as your not to the count yet.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

Well I managed to find some installation instructions online. It turns out the Stenner PCMs are all the same. They can be adjusted from 0.1 sec. to 20 sec. They just ship them preset in 4 different settings. Weird. The directions also explained how to figure out basic settings for feed time. I figured it out for a single pulse meter and a two pulse. Single pulse seemed better for my application. I think I'll give it a shot! Time to look at retention tanks. I'll have to call around and see what I can find for peroxide.

Thanks for the input!
Sam
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Ask for Chlorine retention tank as it will be the same and most any one that you talk to will be more up on the chlorine.
Telling them that you are going peroxide will most likely have them trying to get you to change.

Both chlorine and peroxide have the habit of out gassing... and both are an oxidizer..