Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

permits

where is the line where you need permits as to where you dont? example plumbing a new addition you need a permit but what things can you do without, such as repalcing a toilet etc. i plan on replacing 2 toilets , 1 bathroom sink, 1 tub and 1 shower. water softner and heater all new faucetts and shuttoff valves. ive already replacd a pressure tank, whole house filter, and a few leaky valves. i can sweat pipes no problem and will just replace what i remove and wont be changing or adding any runs etc. its a 45 year old house and im worried if i get a permit they will flag the old plumbing. im not worried about the fee or failing my own work though.i just dont want to replumb the whole sytem.

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

permits

It would depend on your local jurisdiction. Some require permits for just about everything, others for structural changes and electrical only. One place I lived required a permit and inspection to change your own hot water heater.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

permits

In MA you can't do plumbing unless you are a plumber
I think many people here replace toilets, faucets, sinks & simple stuff without a permit

I had a list of things I needed done & hired a plumber
They didn't care about any old stuff
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

permits

As a home owner if you consult with the local code office they will most likely explain what and how to comply with code. Seems most code officials are more tolerant with home owners than the Pors when asking questions.

Here there is a code official who will not oly explain the code but tell you how to do it wether its sweating pipe or sizing dfu's but for the pro's he'll say go ahead and do it and when I fail you, you will have to tear it out and redo it. That's how he teaches a pro.

Just talk with the codes dept and hopefully they wil lead you in the right direction.
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

permits

I am winding up a major remodel project - I needed permits/inspections for structural and electric aspects of the work, but not plumbing as I was not changing up or moving anything just installing new fixtures.

As others have said, it varies with the local requirements.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

permits

Not too many areas require permits for changing out fixtures. Even those that do, don't normally hassle you over the existing installations unless it is just totally unsafe. In Ohio, when you bought a water heater, the stores were required to submit the sale to the Code Department. There were also inspectors looking for old heaters sitting at the curb for the garbage men. One reason for this was Handymen who did no other work than Water Heater installation, and had no contractors license and paid no taxes.