DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Periodic Shower Drip

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Wetchick 
#1 ·
Hello Plumbing Gurus,
I need your help.

I have a stand alone shower with a Symmons Temptrol Assembly with a TA10H spindle (not really different than the TA10 other than the handle is longer).

It was dripping dripping dripping. I tried to take the spindle out and replace the washer on the back. Couldn't get it out. Called Plumber #1, he broke the spindle. I ordered a new spindle and washer kit. Plumber #2 replaced those parts. It was still dripping. I ordered a full replacement kit for the entire assembly and Plumber 2 came back and changed all the parts. Drip drip drip was gone. I did notice when I turn the shower off, about a minute later, about a cup of water gets dumped out. Other than that, for like 2 months I had no issues.

Recently I noticed mildew on my shower floor. I stopped using the shower. Still mildew, and some water. I realized every few hours, about a cup of water comes flying out of the shower head. Just often enough to keep the floor wet and allow mildew to grow.

If I walk into the bathroom and watch the head, it doesn't drip. In fact, its bone dry if I touch it.

The shower does have a diverter that moves the water to a hose and handle, and additionally, there's another diverter that goes to two jets.
I never leave the diverter set to these things, and they never drip.

I really don't think its the assembly or the spindle. I think there's some pressure issue in the house doing this but I can't understand what it is, if i run the sinks and flush the toilets I can't make the thing drip.

Anyone have any ideas how I can make this stop? After the other leak was fixed i scraped and regrouted the whole shower, now its turning mildewy again. :( Boohoo. :(

Any advice is welcome, esp from someone who has experience with this kind of intermittent drip.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for responding.

What does that mean exactly?
I have another shower and it doesn't drip.

There are 2 thingies in the assembly that allow you to adjust the flow of hot and cold water, this lets you shut the water off from the shower instead of from the main. They didn't work at all originally, I had to shut the main down to swap out the spindle. The plumber replaced them when we swapped the whole assembly. Could that have something to do with it? Should we maybe close those a little?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.