Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pentair 268/740F Value Expert Advice Needed

I have a 1.5 cube Centaur carbon filter with a 268/740F head on it. It was installed "professionally" about a year ago. I say "professionally", because while these guys seem like they know what they are doing, I continue to have a system that requires an awful lot more research and tweaking on my part then I ever wanted or expected. I have had three different companies come out and tweak things, but it never really lives up to my expectations: I have clean smelling water, and I fill the hydrogen peroxide reservoir up before it gets low.

The system is configured much like my salt brine system - it pulls hydrogen peroxide/water mix in from the reservoir (during C2), does its thing and then refills the reservoir with water (during C8). There is a holding tank for the hydrogen peroxide (I use 37% concentrate) that drips into the main reservoir. It is set to regenerate every night.

The "professionals" who installed it said that it should run on it's own and everything should be fine as long as I keep the peroxide tank full and the wick is in good condition. They said that I would likely need to pour 1/4 gallon of the peroxide into the main reservoir (rather than the peroxide tank) about once a month - because that's what they do for their customers who are on a service contract.

My experience has been that I need to put in that 1/4 gallon once a week, rather than once a month.

I spoke to another water company and they said that they use a different valve on their installations that just sucks in the hydrogen peroxide mix, but does not refill the reservoir with water like mine does. They have had much better success with this type of configuration.

SO.... Questions:

1) What the heck is my problem, and is there a simple solution?
2) Is the simple solution to reconfigure my head to skip C8 somehow?

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Adam

adamsteinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

I guess I'm not understanding your problem ... Are you upset at the maintenance required or what is exactly is the problem?

Benplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Id just install a good inline cartridge filter and just change it as needed depending on your water.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benplumbing View Post
I guess I'm not understanding your problem ... Are you upset at the maintenance required or what is exactly is the problem?
The problem is that I have this system that is supposed to "drip" hydrogen peroxide into a water holding container so that each night, when the filter does its thing, my water doesn't smell like rotten eggs in the morning. That "drip" system doesn't work - it never drips enough in to make one iota of difference.

So, what I have to do instead is one a week pour about 1/4 of a bottle of peroxide in to ensure that at least once a week it gets a solid blast and it will usually be OK for the week.

I don't want to have to remember to pour it in. I want it to happen automatically. So, I either need a way to have a specific amount of hydrogen peroxide mixed into the water holding tank each night, or I need a way to have the head stop filling the water holding tank back with water when it does its regeneration. That way, I can just put a bunch of hydrogen peroxide in the holding tank and let it draw from it as needed.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Id just install a good inline cartridge filter and just change it as needed depending on your water.
I have an in-line cartridge "sand" filter before the 1 cube softener and before the 1.5 cube centaur carbon filter.

The water here requires MUCH more than your average inline filter.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,480

Read the trouble shooting section of your operating manual.
http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...%203003714.pdf
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Read the trouble shooting section of your operating manual.
http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...%203003714.pdf
I have. I have exhausted all resources, including 3 different water service companies here. That's why I'm here.