Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Pedistal sink..is this a problem?

On a bit of a whim, I purchased a pedistal sink. At present I have a wall hung sink.

Now that I've taken a bit of a look, I see that the drain pipe is directly under the hot water line. So at the moment, it has an elbow that turns to the right to sit under the centre of the sink where it meets the drain. This doesn't seem normal to me as I expected to see it was centered without turns being involved.

Before I go unhooking things and taking things out of boxes, is there something I should be measuring or thinking about to ensure the plumbing lines are hidden by the pedistal? What is normal with pedistals anyway when it comes to hiding the plumbing?

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

"Normal" is the drainline centered on the pedestal with the water supply lines on each side of the drain. (4 to 6" centers). This is how the lines are hidden behind the pedestal.

majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
I blame ProWallGuy

There should be a 'rough-in' sheet included with the new sink or available from the manufacturer that will show you the preferred positions of drain and water lines.

The drain being off center will cause you some headaches. I would consider not installing it or finding a different lavatory sink if you feel like the old one should be replaced.

Also, pedestal lavatories are just about the most difficult of all lavatories to install, even with the proper rough in. Its not a job I recommend to DIYers.

These lavatories can be quite dangerous if not properly installed. That much china falling to the floor isn't a good thing.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #4

I just installed a pedestal sink last year and it went pretty well. I just eye-balled the spacing for the supply lines, but you realize after you're done that when you stand over the sink, you don't really see the lines at all. I only know they're there when I'm looking for them, otherwise they're pretty well hidden. I guess it also depends on the style of sink, size of the basin etc.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 AM   #5

Well bummer if this might not be doable. My current sink (just bought the house a few months ago) has a crack and since I am about to do some tiling up the walls I figure now is the time to replace the sink. I will have to open the box I guess and really see how things will fit.

I hope, like billinak I can do it. One of my pet peeves is seeing things like pipes hanging out and there really isn't room for a cabinet in this bathroom.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Is the drain line metal or pvc?
can you submit a photo of the drain/hot/cold lines?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #7

I recommend exposing the pipes in the wall and seeing how much play you have in either direction. Then place the sink on the pedestal where you want it to go and mark it on the wall. Use this as a guide as you go. There are a lot of flexible PVC drain pieces that can be used to complete the drain connection if the fit is not perfect. This is what happened to me, but the sink is big enough to hide the whole thing

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote