Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sully
Share |

pedestal sink drain leaking

I'm a newb.

Anyways, I had hardwoods installed throughout my first floor and in the powder room as well (originally it was lino) I put the pedesalt sink back in and connected everything. Well, I have noticed a very small leak in the drain line. The leak is comming from the connection after the bottom of the sink. I believe it is a slip connection. So, how do I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Second question - more of a confirmation. The toilet closet flange is now too low. I need to raise the closet flange to even or above the finished floor. I can do this by either using flange extenders or an extra wax ring. I also need to get extra long closet flange bolts. I am going about this correctly?

sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #2

Since you raised the floor level, it may be that the pipe is now too short and the slip connection is does not have enough pipe to seal. Are you sure the gasket is in the slip nut? Could have also cracked. Check these things out.
I like flange extenders versus using multiple wax seals. It is common for a double seal to slide when you install the bowl and either cause a leak or block the drain opening. Check the package on the new wax seal. many are including new longer closet bolts. If not, you can purchase them seperately. Good luck on your project.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to sully

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Since you raised the floor level, it may be that the pipe is now too short and the slip connection is does not have enough pipe to seal. Are you sure the gasket is in the slip nut? Could have also cracked. Check these things out.
I like flange extenders versus using multiple wax seals. It is common for a double seal to slide when you install the bowl and either cause a leak or block the drain opening. Check the package on the new wax seal. many are including new longer closet bolts. If not, you can purchase them seperately. Good luck on your project.

Thanks for the quick respone. I was thinking the same things; however, it is always nice to confirm.
sully is offline   Reply With Quote