Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |

Pedestal Sink Drain

I'm currently renovating the bathroom in my home. Prior to starting the project, I noticed that the drain on the pedestal sink leaked and seamed to be loose where it entered the wall. I opened up the wall and found what's in the attached pictures.

From what I can tell, originally a chrome drain from the sink attached to the copper drain line at the 90 degree fitting (not sure how it attaches). A previous owner of the house must have had problems with it during a previous renovation, so they cut the chrome drain pipe, leaving a short stub to which they attached an ABS trap using a compression fitting.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this properly? The compression fitting seems hoakey and leak-prone. What I would like to see is a chrome pipe coming from the wall with a 90 degree downward bend, to which I could attach a chrome trap.

BTW: The house is 60 years old, so I'm not sure if this will make it difficult to get replacement parts.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
Pedestal Sink Drain-img_4229.jpg   Pedestal Sink Drain-img_4231.jpg  
Meridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
DIY staff

Pedestal Sink Drain

That chrome tube is soldered in.

I would suggest cutting off the copper drain to the right of your cold water pipe and switch over to PVC.

Put a trap adapter on the PVC after the drywall is installed.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

Pedestal Sink Drain

If you have soldering skills you should un-swett the chrome piece, clean up the inside of the elbow and swett in a trap adapter. That will give you a nice clean outlet.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #4

Pedestal Sink Drain

Unfortunately, my soldering skills aren't that great, so I don't think I'd be able to solder in a new trap adaptor.

If I cut the copper drain line and switch over to ABS, what is the best coupler to use between the two? The guy at the local big-box store suggested a Fernco connector, like in the picture below. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any problems with leaks? Does anything need to go between the connector and the pipe for sealing, or does the rubber connector itself provide sufficient sealing?

Jonathan
Attached Images

Meridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Retired Plumbing Cont.

Pedestal Sink Drain

I would not install a fernco in the wall. The sweat-on trap adapter is the way to go. It would be a wise investment to go ahead and pay a licensed pro to do the job. At most you would be out an hour's labor plus material. Depends on how well you want to sleep at night.
rockerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
DIY staff

Pedestal Sink Drain

The fernco type fittings are O.K. inside the wall--Meet code and last just fine.

Do support the new pipe well--nothing more irritating than a loose drain in the wall.

Soldering is of course a much preferred method--however, that fitting ( trap adapter) alone is over $20--if your soldering skills are weak--go with the PVC and a fernco.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #7

Pedestal Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The fernco type fittings are O.K. inside the wall--Meet code and last just fine.

Do support the new pipe well--nothing more irritating than a loose drain in the wall.

Soldering is of course a much preferred method--however, that fitting ( trap adapter) alone is over $20--if your soldering skills are weak--go with the PVC and a fernco.--Mike--
Oh'mike.
I have a similar question as the orig poster, except I have a copper pipe stub sticking out of the wall, no threads. I'm replacing a bathroom vanity, could not un-swett the p-trap, so I sawed it off, leaving the unthreaded 3.5 inch long stub.
I called plumber who said job is a quick job to get threads on the stub to which I could connect from my new sink/p trap.
I talked to DIY guy at work who described what looks like a compression adapter I could use. Said I could get it at Home Depot.
I've also seen of course the Fernco solution.
Pipes will not be visible - will be behind vanity doors.
I live in Massachusetts.
What solution is recommended? Easiest is Fernco, but are all these solutions code-compliant?
If Fernco is ok, how come the diameters don't match at all the real world o.d. my stub is 1 5/8 o.d.. The Ferncos I find for say 1 1/4 inch are over 2 inches in diameter. What's up with that? And how do I size the Fernco to fit a 1 5/8 inch stub?
Thanks very much.
jbcampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
call me E

Pedestal Sink Drain

So far in this thread you've seen at least 2 professional plumbers recommend not using a fernco on the trap arm, I'll be the 3rd. if you cant unsweat the trap and don't want to hire a pro then I think the next choice would be a 1.5" plast x 1.5" cop shielded coupling. Now you can run plastic out to your trap. My inspector won't allow me to bring a fernco inside the building but buried outside is fine.
Notice how tweaked the fernco is in this image compared to the shielded coupling on the right. Not saying that happens every time but....
Attached Images

Last edited by TheEplumber; 11-10-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add image and comment
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
jbcampo (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Plumb or Die!

Pedestal Sink Drain

4th one!! Hard to tell from the photo, is that a 2" x 1 1/2" reducing 90 elbow on that drain? Looks like 2" copper, reducing elbow, down to 1 1/4" chrome tubing, back up to 1 1/2" ABS to the trap. Worst part of the scenario is the downsizing from the 1 1/2" ABS to the 1 1/4" chrome tubing. Never go from bigger to smaller on a drain pipe. Unless you're a big fan of clogs.
I'd cut the 2" copper on the other side of the brass 90 and put a 2"copper x 1 1/2" ABS Zip coupling there (like a Fernco with a stainless steel band for rigidity), and repipe the whole mess.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #10

Pedestal Sink Drain

Thank you ePlumber. I'll see if I can find one of those at Home Depot. If not, I'll try to find a local plumbing supply store. Joe
jbcampo is offline   Reply With Quote