Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Florida Cracker

Rewards Points: 75

Pedestal Sink American Standard

I've installed 3 of the $40 American Standard pedestal sinks available from Lowes.
They are the cheapo ones that don't come with a mounting bracket for the pedestal.
Each install was a pain in the ass.
The basin is has two holes in the upper back portion that you are supposed to put screws through in to the studs/wall.
I don't know how you are supposed to get a bit or ratchet head on those 3" screws way up inside the basin-there is no space in there.
Not to mention trying to tighten the water supply connections to the faucet.

I was wondering hoe you guys deal with these sinks-I've had an annoying time with each one I've installed. It just seems like such bad design.

Jack A. Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

I heard that I did. I have had my fair share of GC's who chose to use these things. I attatch my lines to the faucet before I install the top to the pedistal base. I also use a very short school pencil and mark the slots for the bolts, remove the top, then pre drill. Then re install the top, using a small lag screw and washer and a 12 point box end wrench to tighten. Thats if there is any blocking. If not I mark the holes, remove top, drill and insert drywall anchor. If I have to use a screw driver then I will use a bit made for a drill and a small adjustable wrench (Many hours with this method) to tighten. Biggest PIA I ever had to deal with besides the Home Depot glue up shower stalls!

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Florida Cracker

Rewards Points: 75

Haha-funny you should mention the shower surrounds. I just put one of those in too. It went well, except one of the lips on the corner pieces was miscut from the factory, so I had to apply some caulk.
Yeah, I hate these pedestal sinks-they pain in the ass install is not worth trying to save the money.
Jack A. Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I always attach the supply lines to the faucet before mounting the basin. I also put the drain piping (less the trap) on the sink. I don't use the 3" screws since the basin is supported by the base. I used 2" on the last one and my dogbone wrench to tighten into the predrilled holes.