Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

Patio and balcony built over septic tank.

Previous owner expanded house and poured patio over tank. In addtion the balcony rests on the patio. What should we do to correct?
texas1833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Wow.
That is an incredibly horrid situation.

Look at your options, which are few.

#1) Remove a portion of it that's over the tank and build an access wood area of that deck (that's possibly on hinges - like a door) that opens. . . but is your wood overtop of it, as well - or does the balcony just rest on the lower patio with tall supports? (if it's just concrete overtop the tank then it's possible to get access w/o disturbing your balcony at all)

#2) Leave the tank there and locate a new one away from your Patio - highly unwise, your best and cheaper bet is #1.

#3) Remove the entire patio/deck and build it away from the area - again, best option is #1.

I'm so sorry you're in this pickle!
texas1833 (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Is the tank cover accessible ?
Is there a problem right now ?
Do you have a diagram/blueprint of the system ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Owner

Unfortunately I see this kind of thing all too often. I recommend everyone have a sewer or septic line video inspection and digital locate prior to purchasing a home and/or prior to any major landscaping projects, etc.

Do you have city sewer available to hook up to?

Where I live installing a new tank would be out of the question if city sewer is available on property.
If a new system or sewer hook up is installed, the old tank would have to be crushed or filled.
Consulting the health district for planning and permitting a new septic system would be the norm here.

New system or not; the tank needs to be accessible for servicing. I would contact a local plumber or sewer camera inspection company that can run a camera down the septic line from inside the house and locate the inlet baffle. They will then be able to tell you where the lid is. If it's not under one of your supports for the balcony, you may be able to jack hammer or saw cut the slab, excavate the lid, and install risers for access. If it happens to be under one of the supports, then unfortunately you're back to square one. You may then have to remove the patio and balcony all together.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Brad Penske, Owner
Lateral Concepts, LLC
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
www.facebook.com/LateralConceptsLLC
lateralconcepts@aol.com
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote