Part Identification For Utility Sink Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Part identification for utility sink drain

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Yesterday our utility sink was backing up quite a bit, and after some Drano and snaking, it was still backing up. So I opened up the trap and removed the culprit, some dirts and other gunk from when we had to open up our basement window to clear the dryer vent after 3' of snow here in CT. Anyway, when I was removing the trap, the pipe under the drain broke off. It's very old, or at least it appears to be. I'm wondering if someone on here can identify the part, because I couldn't find it in the big box stores around here and no one could identify it. I've provided two pictures. One without the attachment so that we can do laundry and the other with the attachment. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Eric

Name:  IMG_1971.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1972.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  39.4 KB

Advertisement

ejdischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I think its time for a new utility sink and all accessories, my friend. You have nothing left to work with.

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #3

I'd love to replace the thing, but it's pretty huge and would need to be broken up just to get it out of the house, we don't have a basement walkout exit.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,340

You maybe able to patch it up with some plumbers putty for awhile. But it is so badly rusted out, it probably won't hold for long. You will have to clean that drain really good with a wire brush, carefully, so it doesn't fall apart on you. I know you don't want to hear this, but it's time for new sink and pvc piping. Plastic pvc will last longer than that metal piping. There is very little that can be done with that sink drain all rusted out like that. Sorry. Stay tuned, someone may have some other suggestions that may help.

Last edited by jmon; 03-08-2013 at 12:57 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #5

I think you're right. I'd rather fix it, but if it's not going to work right, then I'm better off replacing. That being said, if I bought a new sink, all of the ones I see online have the faucets up top and the piping underneath. My current sink looks like this:
Name:  IMG_1973.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  53.0 KB

Would it be difficult to re-route the water line under the sink to work properly? I know I sound naive, but I'm a novice whose plumbing expertise (or lack thereof) includes nothing more than installing a new bathroom vanity. Also, I'm assuming that the old sink is getting sledgehammered to get it out of the basement? Thanks for your help again.

Eric
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Before you do all that work, just take old faucet off and bring it to a plumbing supply store and see if they have one that will work with your current plumbing setup. If you can't find or order something that will work, will go from there. When you decide to go all new, then you can plumb all that correctly. This would just be a patch until you can go all new.

Last edited by jmon; 03-08-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdischer
I think you're right. I'd rather fix it, but if it's not going to work right, then I'm better off replacing. That being said, if I bought a new sink, all of the ones I see online have the faucets up top and the piping underneath. My current sink looks like this:

Would it be difficult to re-route the water line under the sink to work properly? I know I sound naive, but I'm a novice whose plumbing expertise (or lack thereof) includes nothing more than installing a new bathroom vanity. Also, I'm assuming that the old sink is getting sledgehammered to get it out of the basement? Thanks for your help again.

Eric
The sink can be broken into smaller pieces with a sledge hammer or stand it up and use a hand truck- with a helper.
Looks like you have copper pipe- use some shark bite fittings if you can't solder and convert to pex and reroute the lines under the new laundry tray.
Keep asking questions- guys here are glad to help
Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Thanks so much for your help. I brought a few pictures of the faucet to my local plumbing supply store and they said they don't carry sinks that take that type of faucet. So I'll be getting a new sink and faucet and running the pipes underneath. I'll probably use this as an opportunity to put the washer and dryer next to each other now that I won't have such a large sink in the way. Right now, they're about 6 feet away from each other. The wife will love that. So now I'm getting a new sink AND scoring points at home! Thanks everyone.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

One more question. I've attached two more pictures of the faucet. I cut the water off at the source (near the heater), because this is the only cutoff to that sink. I followed the pipes from the sink and they go all the way to the main cutoff for the house. So for me to do this, I'm cutting off all of my hot & cold water in the house. Anyway, the current pipes screw on and off from the faucet. Could I get a connector for PEX that allows me to connect to the pipe pictured? I looked at the Sharkbite connectors and I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I'm probably going to head out and get all of this tonight to have it done by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again.

Eric

Part identification for utility sink drain-img_1975.jpg

Part identification for utility sink drain-img_1976.jpg
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 546

I'm just not seeing anything in any of those pictures worth the time to save.
May be time to call in a pro if your over you head.
Think about it how many time have you even used that sink?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #11

When I unscrewed the pipe from the faucet, everything was in really good shape, so I was thinking it shouldn't be that difficult to run the PEX from it to the new sink. I'm not opposed to using a pro, but when I called a few the earliest I got was a few weeks from now. With my work schedule and my wife's work schedule, and a 4 year old in the house, we can't be going out to do laundry. We get a good amount of use out of the sink. I wouldn't say we use it daily, but it definitely gets used. We clean cat litter boxes, and other stuff we wouldn't want to be cleaning in our regular sinks. Other than that, the heating system and washing machine drain into that sink.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

I really do hope you're not letting any cat liter go down that drain.....
You can screw female iron pipe x pex adapters on, after you remove the faucet union from the pipe
Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Last edited by TheEplumber; 03-08-2013 at 05:24 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

You can get a new laundry tub, a top feed laundry tub faucet in rough brass with union connections and a laundry tub faucet mounting block. The block screws onto the tub from underneath and the faucet mounts to it. The waterlines will feed into the top of the faucet as per your setup now.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDC For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Retired Army Veteran

That should save you some time and money.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I dont know if the person the recommended a hand truck ever lifted one of these sinks, but these things were unbearably heavy way back when I was young and very strong. They were also old and ugly back when I was young and very strong, and I am now 66. Where the heck did the time go?

I bet that sink is pushing 80 years old, and the date is probably stamped on the bottom

Hire a plumber, let him have his helper break up and remove that thing and put in a new sink with all new stuff. That one has paid its dues, and wants to go to the landfill. Plus Joe the plumber needs to eat too.

PS Please tell the plumber about the Drano, and don't ever use that stuff again.

Advertisement

Last edited by jagans; 03-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote