P Trap Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

p trap problem

I am new here so lets see how bad i mess up!

ok, I need to know if I can off set the p trap for my shower drain! I have been all over the web and am sick of getting blogs from gardenweb! My situation is this:

New home...second floor bath is going to have a shower..home is timberframe so I dont have access below. subfloor has geothermal vent pipes except for for area between joists..roughly 10 inches...want center drain..room is 60 inches in wide want to put in 60x42 shower base..so the distance from shower drain to p trap will be 18 inches..

any advice will be very helpful!

I can sink the p trap to the level of the rough in drain..one inch above floor.. so that will be level..can get 1/4 slope per foot also..will be building a raised subfloor to cover pipes..what is killing me is that i cant be p trap directly under shower drain without building a 13 3/4 inch subfloor!

please give me advice!

Advertisement

chrishulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

p trap problem

Maybe because its late, but you've got me totally confused.
Read your post 3 times....

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

p trap problem

I read it 5 times and I'm still lost too.....

DM
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

p trap problem

Chris wants to know if he can off set his shower ptrap rather than have it directly below the drain like usual.
kibblesret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

p trap problem

sorry for the confusion! was late night for me also!

To clarify my situation

I am building a new timber frame home. The upstairs bathroom dimension is 58 5/8 inches wide and 160 inches long. The plumbing for the shower, vanity, and toilet is above the sub floor due the the timber frame construction. The main pipe and vent are in the closet of the bedroom next to the bathroom.

The rough in for the shower, vanity and toilet is on west wall

So yes the toilet is a rear flush type which I have never installed before, but thats another blog!

The shower base I want to install is 60x42 with a center drain built in. Under the portion of the sub floor where the center drain will go I have heating pipes so i cant install p trap directly under the drain. I do have free space between two of the joists that support the sub floor near the west wall. The distance from the connection on the main line for the shower and the space I can sink my p trap in is 9 inches.

Ok..Question 1: Can I have my p trap 21 inches away from my shower drain? Some blogs say yes and others say no!

Question 2: Can I sink my p trap down beneath the sub floor a total of 6 inches and add additional pvc to connect the p trap to a couple 90 degrees so I can hook into the shower drain and the shower rough in?

question 3: Does it matter how long each vertical run off a p trap is? and do the vertical runs on each side of the p trap need to be the same? and yes the p trap will be oriented north and south while the shower drain will be draining east to west

Ok I hope that cleared up things! Let me know! I want to escape building a large raised subfloor!
chulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 178

p trap problem

yes a p-trap does not have to be directly below a tub or shower but the line needs to be trapped as close to the fixture as possible 21 inches is fine as long as the trap is lower than the drain and you do not have another line coming in between th trap and the fixture
bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

p trap problem

bluebird5,

thank you for your response! no other line tied in, simply a shower drain. yes I am a novice on plumbing but getting the hang quickly. the p trap inlet will be 2 or 3 inches above the outlet to help create the watter barrier. I can make it as high as I want, but have to consider the raised subfloor.

Ceiling height of bathroom is 8 ft. I am 6' 3"!

One question I do have is can i use 90 degrees elbows on p trap? I read that this will cause issues with clogging etc..any advice?

again thank you in advance
chulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 178

p trap problem

yea when you trap the line there will be 2 90 degree street elbows one going in and one going out out
bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

p trap problem

Absolutely not. You can not install a running trap under a shower. Move the heat pipes

Advertisement