P Trap & Galvanized Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Catchinyellows

P Trap & Galvanized Pipe

Hey all... I am remodeling my bathroom and moved my sink a bit and the P Trap no longer matches up quite right which is causing it to leak. I would like to switch to PVC, but I don't know how or what I need to do or use to connect the PVC to the galvanized pipe. I have a 1 1/2 galvanized pipe with thread sticking out.

Any help would be great.



Catchinyellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 423
Rewards Points: 250

Go to L/HD and get a threaded 1 1/2" pipe to 1 1/2" slip joint PVC.


I may go home hungry, but not tired and hungry.
TazinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
biggles's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 2,000

that 1 1/2" galv. sticking out of the wall....prep it by wire brushing the threads and wrap it with teflon clockwise looking into it .take that coupling 1 1/2" PVC slip by FM thread and hand thread it on tight and with a channel lock pliers give it ONE full turn tight and you ready to PVC pipe away.pre-fit all the trapping pipe before you do any glueing.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Plumbing Contractor
JDC's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 398
Rewards Points: 262

You can use an 1-1/2" trap adapter nut available at any mom and pop hardware store, big box stores and plumbing supply houses.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670
Rewards Points: 1,000

The pipe is probably threaded on the end in the wall also. I would remove the piece of pipe and use a PVC MIP (male iron pipe) to glued adapter. You can cut whatever length of PVC pipeyou need and glue it into the adapter and then screw it into the fitting in the wall. I do not like PVC FIP (female iron pipe) fittings since they can be easily overtightened and crack.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

galvanized , leak , p trap

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Galvanized pipe to Pex sssalas Plumbing 6 09-24-2008 02:47 PM
burying galvanized steel pipe amakarevic Plumbing 9 08-19-2008 10:37 AM
Replacing shower valve - galvanized pipe? rjniles Plumbing 2 05-08-2008 09:29 PM
repairing old galvanized pipe? darsunt Plumbing 2 04-08-2008 12:39 AM
Replacement pipe for hot water heat? Tmb9862 HVAC 18 01-12-2007 03:31 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1