DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   P Trap & Galvanized Pipe (

Catchinyellows 11-09-2008 11:36 PM

P Trap & Galvanized Pipe
Hey all... I am remodeling my bathroom and moved my sink a bit and the P Trap no longer matches up quite right which is causing it to leak. I would like to switch to PVC, but I don't know how or what I need to do or use to connect the PVC to the galvanized pipe. I have a 1 1/2 galvanized pipe with thread sticking out.

Any help would be great.


TazinCR 11-10-2008 05:09 AM

Go to L/HD and get a threaded 1 1/2" pipe to 1 1/2" slip joint PVC.

biggles 11-10-2008 06:16 PM

that 1 1/2" galv. sticking out of the wall....prep it by wire brushing the threads and wrap it with teflon clockwise looking into it .take that coupling 1 1/2" PVC slip by FM thread and hand thread it on tight and with a channel lock pliers give it ONE full turn tight and you ready to PVC pipe away.pre-fit all the trapping pipe before you do any glueing.

JDC 11-10-2008 10:29 PM

You can use an 1-1/2" trap adapter nut available at any mom and pop hardware store, big box stores and plumbing supply houses.

majakdragon 11-11-2008 10:22 AM

The pipe is probably threaded on the end in the wall also. I would remove the piece of pipe and use a PVC MIP (male iron pipe) to glued adapter. You can cut whatever length of PVC pipeyou need and glue it into the adapter and then screw it into the fitting in the wall. I do not like PVC FIP (female iron pipe) fittings since they can be easily overtightened and crack.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1