Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |

Overflow Drain installation for old tub

First post here, like a lot of others I have been lurking and reading trying to glean as much as I can from a wealth of knowledge.

Here goes!

House was built in 1902 and originally had one bathroom upstairs to serve 6 bedrooms. The original tub is a cast iron American Standard with rounded corner for a right hand installation. We have retained the tub for future use in an attempt to preserve as much originality as possible without sacraficing functionality. The tub is in great shape and should last for years to come.

Here the issue.

When the tub was re-installed and the plumbing connected, the overflow for the tub was never connected by my plumber. I beleive he just tried to replicate the original set-up which consisted of the tub spout being located in the overflow hole which wasn't what I really wanted. This issue just got mixed up with a million other items that I was trying to manage during the 9 month remodel/restoration project.

I would like to get it hooked up prior to the bathroom be completely finished. Luckily I have access to the plumbing for the tub through and access door in the hallway outside of the bathroom.

It's hard to see but just below the rim the overflow hole comes into view. The main tub drain is a normal set up and comes directly back to a 90 elbow travelling down as pictured.

So, based off of the attached picture, should I have any problem hooking up an overflow to the hole in the back of the tub and connecting it to the existing 1 1/2" PVC drain?

I've attached (2) pictures. One is the "as found" set-up and the other is what I have right now with the PEX suplly lines. I would like to go with a wall mounted tub spout and a standard tub/shower valve.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Overflow Drain installation for old tub-img_3254.jpg   Overflow Drain installation for old tub-img_4272.jpg  

HoosierB is offline   Reply With Quote