Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

Over flow disaster!

We are renting a house and my kid left and sink running upstairs with both hot and cold running full blast. The overflow stopped taking the water after a few hours and flooded the house, doing about $10,000 in damage! My argument to the owner was that our family should be partly responsible for leaving the sink on, but the overflow should have worked indefinitely. It's a Kohler Undermount Ladena K-2216. He says the code ( Overflow code 2.4 Galls P.M. for 5 Mins. only!
Code A112.19.2-CSAB45.1 Sec 6.6-1 & Sec 6-6-2) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as they have a large deposit.

scibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #2

Over flow disaster!

I would have expected that the overflow opening will take its rated flow indefinitely unless the drain pipe further down became stopped up for other reasons in the meantime.

An open question is whether the water supply to that sink was such that the incoming volume could exceed the overflow opening's capacity so the water level rose and overflowed the rim anyway.

Was water overflowing directly from downstairs drains suggesting an overload further down below? Is the house served by a septic tank? The latter, even if functioning properly, can be overloaded by such a large prolonged flow of water.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-10-2009 at 12:36 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Over flow disaster!

I have never seen a bathroom sink overflow that is capable of keeping up with both faucets full flowing. Look at the tailpiece with the pop-up. It has about a 3/4" hole for the overflow to discharge through. The sink drain is 1-1/4". Take away any blockage, and it isn't going to keep up. I know this is not want you want to hear, but this is all your problem.

Last edited by majakdragon; 05-10-2009 at 04:13 PM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Over flow disaster!

I am curious how you know that the overflow "stopped taking the water after a few hours". Presumably you were not there, or you would have noticed the water flooding the house. Or at least you would have heard the water flowing. So how do you know the overflow didn't stop taking the water after five minutes, as suggested by previous posts?

In any case, I appreciate that you don't want to pay the $10K damages, perhaps your homeowner's insurance would cover you. In any case, you should check the terms of your contract with the owner, if your contract makes you responsible for damage, you would seem to have little or not grounds to argue. At best, you could attempt to subrogate against Kohler, with the claim that their overflow drain should have been capable of handling full flow from both faucets indefinitely, but it seems you still have to make the homeowner right on this one.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #5

Over flow disaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scibird View Post
We are renting a house and my kid left and sink running upstairs with both hot and cold running full blast. The overflow stopped taking the water after a few hours and flooded the house, doing about $10,000 in damage! My argument to the owner was that our family should be partly responsible for leaving the sink on, but the overflow should have worked indefinitely. It's a Kohler Undermount Ladena K-2216. He says the code ( Overflow code 2.4 Galls P.M. for 5 Mins. only!
Code A112.19.2-CSAB45.1 Sec 6.6-1 & Sec 6-6-2) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as they have a large deposit.
The damage has been done because of your child. don't try and make the owner pay a penny. It wasn't his kid who did it. If the faucet wasn't left on then it would not have flooded plain and simple. I know its a bitter pill but that is life.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #6

Over flow disaster!

Scibird, using your logic a vandal who breaks in and does the same thing would only be partially responsible. Sorry your kid vandalized the property, you should be responsible even if there was no over flow working.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #7

Over flow disaster!

Get renters insurance next time.
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #8

Over flow disaster!

had it. Won't cover anything.
scibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

Over flow disaster!

This reminds me of my youngest helping us clean up the yard by putting sticks from a willow tree down the drain clean out in the driveway. He was so proud the yard was cleaned up...

Try working with the landlord. There is a good chance he has insurance to cover this but it is likely to be what you consider a very high deductible. $5,000.00 deductibles are not unusual on rental properties. I know times are hard right now but you do not want to just let this go because it may effect you in the future when renting property and it could devastate your crediting rating. I believe it is int your best interest to work this out asap.

Rege

Last edited by RegeSullivan; 05-12-2009 at 08:40 AM.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #10

Over flow disaster!

You should also have personal liability insurance, which sometimes comes with a renters insurance policy. If you can be held liable for damages including vandalism done by your kid, then personal liability insurance generally covers it.