Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |

outside sump driving me nuts

Our houe has two sump pits due to the high water table... one in the basement which works fine.. its a weep system. I have it all cleaned and dual pump setup (one AC one DC battery backup) sealed up and everything...

its the one outside that drives me nuts... its about 2 ft from the houe foundation, from the top it goes about 9 ft deep, and at the very bottom the drain tile drains go into it (yes outside...) problem is, the sump well has so much sediment in it, the drain tile pipes are almost clogged up, I need a way to clean that dirt out... I used a really long pole to poke through it and see how deep the sediment is, its about 4 inches deep.. another inch or two and the drain tile system will be useless, its already reduced its ability to work do to this...

does anyone have any idae how I can clean this myself? all the well is is that really thickwalled corrogated pipe that is about 24" in diameter (i think) at the bottom is a standard sump basin that they attached to...

not sure if a shop vac is powerful enough to lift that height to suck the muck out or improvise some type of L shaped hoe with a loing pole? i'm at a loss and I need to get this cleaned out before its too late...
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

A post hole digger like this will do it. Take it to a welding shop and have them weld on a longer handle.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...a1&fr=slv8-w3i
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A post hole digger like this will do it. Take it to a welding shop and have them weld on a longer handle.
already tried a post hole digger that has the arms that spread out... didn't work as the pit isn't wide enough....
Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Never suggested to use one of those, you need the screw in type. Lowes, Home Depot, some hardware stores will have them.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Never suggested to use one of those, you need the screw in type. Lowes, Home Depot, some hardware stores will have them.
never saw one of those before.. i'll have to stop there tonight and see what ours has...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Did you look at the web site I posted?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Did you look at the web site I posted?
yep I saw the one you had linked
Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

If some skinny person could climb down into the pit and use an ordinary hoe to scoop the muck a few ounces at a time into a bucket ...

Then put a hose up each weeping tile end and turn the water on high and hope this breaks up the mud so the mud comes out into the pit. Repeat a few times.

Does the inside sump have a complete weeping tile system of its own around the perimeter just inside of the foundation wall? If this is free of sediment it may be sufficient for handle all of the drainage needs. The system performance is improved if the pump comes on before the water level gets so high that the weeping tiles get full of backed up water.

Ideally there should be about 20 gallons or more worth of pit capacity below the bottom edges of the weeping tiles. The outdoor system with the weeping tiles just 4 inches above the pit bottom will never work properly because the pump will have to come on too frequently to keep the weeping tiles from backing up.

If someone is in a small pit or compartment with just one opening, fresh air should be proactively pumped in continuously to prevent his using up all the oxygen and asphyxiating.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-17-2012 at 07:41 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Your Facilities Guy!

Put I garden hoe on a piece of conduit, drop a bucket down there with a rope on it. Remove a small amount at a time drop it in the bucket. Bucket gets full lift and empty. In no time you will have it cleared away.
Donnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnig View Post
Put I garden hoe on a piece of conduit, drop a bucket down there with a rope on it. Remove a small amount at a time drop it in the bucket. Bucket gets full lift and empty. In no time you will have it cleared away.
well none of that worked, I tried a hoe, I tried making a scoop out of sheet metal... turned out there was a ton of gravel at the bottom... which made no sense, not sure how it got in there... but it wasn't supose to be there, below the gravel (almost seemed like foundation drain gravel somehow got into the pit) but I did it this way after everthing failed...

turned the pump on and let it run to suck as much as it could, kept letting it run for a couple minutes... then used a 6 HP shop vac with a long hose on the end to suck out the rest of the water and turned off the pump then the shop vac amazingly did suck the gravel and muck out to the point I could see the plastic bottom of the basin again! took a couple hours all together due to how awkward it was to clean out but its finally clean and seems to be working better, the drain tile pipe is actually draining now!