Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside faucet still dripping

I have a frost free outside faucet that was leaking thru the stem. I took the old stem out and took it to a place that repairs faucets. They replaced the bottom washer and sold me neoprene packing for the stem. I put the repaired stem back in the faucet and no the faucet drips once every 4 or 5 seconds. Is there anything else I can do short of replacing the faucet? It is hidden behind the basement ceiling and not very easily replaced. Thanks

watercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Ayuh,... There's the Washer you replaced, or the Seat in the faucet,...That's the only 2 parts...
And,...
I donno if the Seat is replacable in those frost-free faucets or Not...
It would take a really Long faucet wrench, for Sure...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

i have never tried it, but i once saw a little seat surfacing or grinding tool to give the seat a flat, clean face
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If the seat goes bad in the frostfree silcock then you need a new silcock. I know you don't want to open that ceiling but it must be done.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #5

I have a similar problem, but there isn't anyhing replacable on the faucet. I removed the handle but every other part won't come off. I went under my house to remove it but it is soldered. I purchased a replacement but it has a coupling that fits on the end 1/2 inch i believe. I'm completely new to the plumbing game so I have no clue what to do passed this. I know I need to cut the pipe off with a hacksaw bc it's to close to my floor to try to heat up.
Not sure what to do passed that wether I should look for a different faucet or can I solder this one. Not sure any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Lightning#88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

quote:
I'm completely new to the plumbing game so I have no clue what to do passed this. I know I need to cut the pipe off with a hacksaw bc it's to close to my floor to try to heat up.
Not sure what to do passed that wether I should look for a different faucet or can I solder this one. Not sure any help would be appreciated. Thanks[/quote]

Lightning,
Do yourself a favor and call a local plumber. This is not a big job for them and will probably save you from burning your house down.
Mike Hawkins (retired firefighter after 25 years)
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

I would put a screw cap on it and take that off every time I want to use it (or put on a screw on dual shutoff for two hoses, this usually restricts the flow a bit limiting you to one sprinkler per hose). Take off the accessory in winter and let the faucet drip, although water may still freeze inside, the drip will make the freezing process more gradual and less likely to split the pipe.

Instead of ripping the thing out of the wall and ceiling to replace it.

They make hand cranked grinders to refinish valve/faucet seats but I don't think they make any long enough to reach the seat of a frost free sillcock.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-16-2009 at 08:28 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
duh who me

I have seen freeze proof faucets with compression fittings on end of faucets , measure ,exact ,cut copper ,slip compression ring over copper pipe, put pipe dope on compression ring and male threads on adaptor tigent gently but firmly dont super tighten just snug(carefuk dont cross thread they are fine threads, and your good to go.OR I HAVE MADE UP A COMPRESSION FITTING ON END OF FREEZE PROOF VALVE BEFORE I crawled back under house .I ALMOST FORGOT SOMESEATS ARE BARREL TYPE AND THEY COME OFF WITH STEM COMING OUT ,THOSE YOU CAN USE A SEAT GRINDER TO SMOOTH OUT SEAT
El Cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #9

thanks guys i have actually contacted a local plumber he came out gave me easy advice how to fix it myself and told me if i had problems to call him. appreciate everything
Lightning#88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

...cutting the ceiling open doesn't have to be a traumatic event. I usually have something like this on-hand when I have to cut a hole:

http://www.accesspanels.net/Other%20...ns/plastic.htm

Most homeowners are happy with the result, and they like the idea of accessibility to things that may need to be serviced (again) in the future.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote