Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Share |

Outside faucet

Plumbing experts: See attached pictures-- what do you think about this outdoor faucet setup? Will this last? It seems flimsy (pipe moves back and forth in the ground when turning on and off)

InertiaDriven71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #2

Outside faucet

I forgot to add, it is all PVC except for the shutoff.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

Outside faucet

Not a good job. Not only is the PVC easy to snap off accidentally, how does it get drained in preparation for winter?
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

Outside faucet

This is what was suppot to be there.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...k=All&Ntt=yard hydrants frost proof&Nty=1&D=yard hydrants frost proof&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Dx=mode matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=google_PPC&c m_cat=WaterPumps&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=yard hydrants frost proof&mkwid=snW4B6dgj&pcrid=15754100111&mt=b

Last edited by joecaption; 08-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Outside faucet

sorry but i think somebody who did not know what they were doing tried to play plumber....not a very good one at that....its wrong....needs installed right...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

Outside faucet

PVC is not UV resistant, just leaving it exposed to the sun will make it brittle.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

Outside faucet

you need a post next to it to strap it to. and if you ever yank on the hose too hard it will snap that elbow off.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Outside faucet

Well, I realize this is a DIY forum, but this was done by a licensed plumber. He claimed he did not like frost-proof faucets for some reason, I just think it was because he did not want to mess with it.

The town (Monticello, AR) I live in has virtually NO plumbers. At least not one that calls you back, comes back out after opening the crawlspaces, or does other than a half-ass job.

Bottom line, he quoted me $270 to run a line from under the kitchen sink 350 feet to our new dog kennel and install a shutoff line outside under the sink in case there is ever a leak.

I was out of town for work when he came out. I returned to a finished job with no shutoff line for (some reason) and this crap excuse for a faucet. Also, no telling how crappy quality of pipe he used to run out to the pen. Of course, every time I have been boned is when a contractor comes out to the house and my wife writes the check while I am not there, which happened in this case.

I am trying to find a "real plumber" to come out and finish the job right. Unfortunately most people around here take little pride in their work or are very dependable.

Should they have used 'Schedule 40' PVC underground or what? I really have no idea what kind of pipe is underground, but it would not suprise me if it is crap.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Chicago, IL

Outside faucet

Lots of places, you need back-flow prevention on external hose bibs.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

Outside faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertiaDriven71 View Post
Well, I realize this is a DIY forum, but this was done by a licensed plumber. He claimed he did not like frost-proof faucets for some reason, I just think it was because he did not want to mess with it.

The town (Monticello, AR) I live in has virtually NO plumbers. At least not one that calls you back, comes back out after opening the crawlspaces, or does other than a half-ass job.

Bottom line, he quoted me $270 to run a line from under the kitchen sink 350 feet to our new dog kennel and install a shutoff line outside under the sink in case there is ever a leak.

I was out of town for work when he came out. I returned to a finished job with no shutoff line for (some reason) and this crap excuse for a faucet. Also, no telling how crappy quality of pipe he used to run out to the pen. Of course, every time I have been boned is when a contractor comes out to the house and my wife writes the check while I am not there, which happened in this case.

I am trying to find a "real plumber" to come out and finish the job right. Unfortunately most people around here take little pride in their work or are very dependable.

Should they have used 'Schedule 40' PVC underground or what? I really have no idea what kind of pipe is underground, but it would not suprise me if it is crap.
270.00 to install 350' of water pipe under ground....your kidding right....licensed plumber...wow ..I would move...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Civil Engineer

Outside faucet

This post is a bit odd. A licensed plumber, by your post, ran underground water line at less than a dollar a foot. Did he dig the trench himself? I mean, apparently he installed a water line of 350 feet in less than a day, which is humping pretty fast, even if he had a digging machine. If less than a dollar a foot is the going rate, I am not surprised you cannot find a plumber in your area, they must have moved to a place where they can make a living. It must have taken your plumber the better part of a day just to dig the trench, then he had to install the pipe, backfill the trench etc. Plus supply the pipe and spigot. I guess the rates in Arkansas are lower than Massachusetts....
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Outside faucet

Not that I would ever do something like that, but it's perfectly legal in our area, EXCEPT for the male brass thread, screwed into plastic female threads.

I would expect those female threads to crack wide open sooner than later.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #13

Outside faucet

Wife said it took just under 3 hours to do the whole job, and it was 330 feet (minor correction). He also told my wife "I hope I got the line deep enough where it wouldn't freeze", so maybe it is barely underground.

It sounds like the simple explanation is that I got what I paid for.... But it would have been nice to be quoted what it would cost to be done correctly, so I could make a well-informed choice.

Thank you all for your unput.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #14

Outside faucet

If the guy was a licensed plumber, he counterfeited the license. That is a total hack job. What needs to be there is a yard hydrant. They're not very expensive, and most big box stores carry them.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #15

Outside faucet

I agree with you at this point. Now I am working on getting a real plumber out next week to try to salvage what I already have into it. So, $270 + no telling how much extra to get it done right.

I also just learned after a hard 2-inch rain last night that there is a 3-4 inch trench in the yard (300+ feet long) that I will have to fill with topsoil. Good news is that the pipe is still not visible that deep, so maybe it is indeed deep enough to keep from freezing (?)

To be honest, I would not have put a line out there had it been upwards to $500 or more, I would have just continued to have my 2 boys run buckets out there for watering the dogs (as a chore). Again, I have no idea what plumbing would cost and $270 did not sound "too good to be true" due to my lack of experience.

After reading some of the previous posts, I feel like I do need to come out and clarify, just to make sure you all know: I DID NOT DO THIS JOB-- THIS REALLY WAS DONE BY A LOCAL PLUMBER WHO HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS AROUND HERE FOR SEVERAL YEARS. In other words, this is not a project I tried myself and making up a story to cover it up.... thanks again, SA

The Following User Says Thank You to InertiaDriven71 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-10-2012)