Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Outdoor spigot leaking, replace or fix?

Ok, perhaps a common problem for most people, but the darn outdoor spigot/sillcock is leaking. I actually removed the valve/cartridge, and replaced the washer at the bottom of it with a new one, but it still has a tiny leak. Basically from looking at it from where the water comes out, it looks like where the washer comes down and meets the part of the spigot to stop the flow, water is squeezing through a tiny opening.

What is the best thing to do at this point? Should I just replace the whole thing, or maybe I can go about trying to fix it again with a new washer and maybe there's something I did wrong? Unfortunately it's sweated on, or I'd have just ripped it out and replaced it. I've done some pipe sweating before, but was trying to avoid sweating on a new spigot/sillcock because it's a pita due to the fact that it's inside the wall where the sweat connections are. On the inside, the pipe basically makes a 90degree turn and goes up on the inside wall. The drywall is removed on the inside because I'm redoing parts of the basement, so at least I have "easy" access to the inside. Pipes are copper. The indoor shutoff valve is bad as well, but that's another issue (and why I put a cap on it). Any advice is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor spigot leaking, replace or fix?-20120313_203401.jpg  

Last edited by NewHomeDIYGuy; 03-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
call me E

I'd shut off the water meter and replace the house shut off and the hose bib. I realize your soldering skilz are not the best but nows a good time to learn If all else fails- use shark bite fittings
The bib seat is probably scratched. So water is passing by the washer- Maybe a bigger rubber?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I'd shut off the water meter and replace the house shut off and the hose bib. I realize your soldering skilz are not the best but nows a good time to learn If all else fails- use shark bite fittings
The bib seat is probably scratched. So water is passing by the washer- Maybe a bigger rubber?
Gotcha... I guess I'll have to disassemble the damn thing again and take a look at the seat. Maybe I can grind it smooth or something to not require me to replace the hose bib, or maybe I'll just replace it.

The plan is to replace the shutoff valve as well, but I'm just getting lazy/sick of working on my house at the moment, and I can do that later as it's easily accessible by my water heater. The hose bib I need to get done because I need to redrywall the inside wall, and don't want to futz with it again.

I'm ok with soldering (I've moved a few 3/4" copper pipes and sweated about a dozen joints), I just hate the fact that it's inside the wall (makes it harder to work on), and removing old sweat connections can be a big pita. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeDIYGuy View Post
Gotcha... I guess I'll have to disassemble the damn thing again and take a look at the seat. Maybe I can grind it smooth or something to not require me to replace the hose bib, or maybe I'll just replace it.

The plan is to replace the shutoff valve as well, but I'm just getting lazy/sick of working on my house at the moment, and I can do that later as it's easily accessible by my water heater. The hose bib I need to get done because I need to redrywall the inside wall, and don't want to futz with it again.

I'm ok with soldering (I've moved a few 3/4" copper pipes and sweated about a dozen joints), I just hate the fact that it's inside the wall (makes it harder to work on), and removing old sweat connections can be a big pita. Thanks!
I hear what you're saying. I got my own money pit going on.
You might be able to replace the seat- can't tell without looking at it.
The biggest obstacle you'll have soldering is getting the water out of the lines. But you probably know that..
Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The biggest obstacle you'll have soldering is getting the water out of the lines. But you probably know that..
He has an advantage that the line goes up the wall, so it should drain easily. But if his indoor shutoff valve is bad, he's going to have to use the main shutoff to stop the flow.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

Ya thanks for the advice.. Question for you guys then.. Is breaking old solder connections just a result of water being in the pipe (so it cools the pipe as I'm heating it?) and/or sometimes they are just a pita to separate since the joints are old (house is built in 1985). When sweating in a new diverter valve and moving some pipes I remember it being a big pain breaking the old solder connection.. I saw a video online where a guy used a shop vac to dry and drain the line as best he could of water, and perhaps I'll give that a try. I'm just wondering if there are any tips for breaking older solder connections.. Thanks!