Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Outdoor faucets

My landscaper installed 4 outside faucets that are serviced from my landscape meter. He installed freeze proof faucets but since they come straight up out of the ground they serve no purpose because there is still water from the cut off washer up to the top of the faucet.

When I was a youngster (about 70 years ago) we had a faucet out in the front of our house that had a valve under the ground that my Father would cut off during the winter time and the water would drain out of this valve. It was cut off by means of a handle that came out of the ground near the faucet.

I would like to replace the existing faucets that are in my landscape with something like this but have been unable to find them.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and if so where they can be purchased. Lowe's or HD does not know what I am talking about.

I have been wrapping them and putting a bucket over them in the winter but would like to permanently fix this.

Thanks
Tom

TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Outdoor faucets

Are these faucets of yours "yard hydrants?" If so, the valve is at the bottom of the riser and actuated by a long pushrod at the head of the hydrant. The water left in the riser drains out below the frost line (if installed properly) when closing the valve.

harry_ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #3

Outdoor faucets

No, mine does not look like that. My faucetts are just the non freeze type that I also have installed in the side of my house. I think what I am hunting is a valve that will install at the base of the non freeze faucetts. I have been doing some googling and think they are called ground key stop and waste valves.

I think I can install them in the line going to the faucetts and put a L fitting in the end of them and then install the non freeze faucett in the L.

What do you think?

Google ground key stop and waste valves. The one I need is the one that has the cut on and off key on top that will accomidate a water cut off key.

Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Outdoor faucets

Those frost-free hose bibs aren't designed to be installed vertically like that. Where the yard hydrants will drain when installed in the ground, the ones sticking out the side of your house have to be pitched downward toward the outlet to drain the water. A stop and waste wouldn't help you there, though Home Depot in Fort Oglethorpe does carry them; I saw some just a couple days ago.

Another thing to keep in mind is that draining the risers won't help unless you can get the water level down to 12" or more below grade--the frost line depth here.

There should be a way to drain down the irrigation system. Have you contacted the installer? I highly recommend starting there, since (I assume) you paid the guy good money for this.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Outdoor faucets

Oh, I just realized you said you wanted to install non-freezeproof faucets with the waste valves. Yes, that would work, assuming the waste is deep enough.

Still...If it was me, I'd get the landscaper back out there to fix it.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Outdoor faucets

My frost free ones that are installed in the side of the house do slope a little downward and I have no problem with them.

I always winterize my landscape sprinklers by blowing all the water out of the system but I just would like to have them fixed the proper way.

I had one of the ones on my house freeze one year because I forgot to unhook the hose. I will not make that mistake again.

As far as the landscape company that put in my irrigation system is concerned: I like to have never got them to come back and fix a connection that was leaking below ground so I know I can't get them back to put the key stop waste valve in. This is the way with people who do work for you now days, all they want is one shot at your pocketbook and gives no service after the fact.

I had pool repairs and other work done last year at the tune of 30,000.00 and they never have completed the work either. They even took out my pool light and sold me one that would not fit into the existing housing and will not refund my money for the light that is improper or will not give me my old pool light back that worked. I just wanted a color light instead of a white one.

They knock down finished my drive, garage, and porch and I can't even get them to come back and apply the color finish to the drive and that has been 2 years.

I don't mind telling you who it was and hope they never get any pool or concrete work: He is Frank Giamo. Company is Meadowbrooke Pools - Chattanooga, TN. He has 3 companies and the other one is Spray Deck - Chattanooga, TN.

I reported them to the BBB but that again probably will not hurt him.

Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #7

Outdoor faucets

Can't say I've ever heard of him (or his DBAs) but yes, there are far too many contractors flitting around trying to make a quick paycheck without the knowledge, ability, or desire to complete their jobs. It makes it so much harder for the honest guys to earn a living.

Local subs have always worked out better for me than the Chattanooga crowd (I mostly work in Walker County). The local yokels give advice more freely, know the best guys in the various trades, and generally take more pride in their work. And the good-ole-boy network is great for enforcing quality workmanship and ethical business practice.

The BBB is worse than useless. They'll probably contact the contractor in an attempt to extort some membership fees, but they don't do anything for consumers anymore. If they ever did. You might have better luck with sending this character a certified letter through the US Mail listing all the contract violations and demanding that he either complete the project or refund the payments. Maybe talk a couple of those big Ridgeland boys to tell him twice.

Oops, I almost started ranting...This outta state joker you found just burns me to a fare-thee-well.

It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on the yard spigot issues. Just watch that frost line; we got down below freezing last night. I know a good concrete finisher from Chickamauga. I don't know if he does much of the fancy texturing, but I always get him to pour my foundation slabs and driveways. I can dig up his number if you'd like.

Good luck with everything, and it's great seeing a local on here!
The Following User Says Thank You to harry_ho For This Useful Post:
TGMcCallie (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Outdoor faucets

That yard hydrant above is just what I have been looking for, but want something more decorative, so I went searching (now that I know the proper name). And I found this...

Here is the web page for that (price?)...
http://www.hydrants.com/products/ind...d-hydrant.html

And more "stuff" on their products page here...
http://www.hydrants.com/products.html
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

Outdoor faucets

That is a nice yard hydrant. I am going to their site and see what they have. Thanks for the site address.

I know it gets cold in Oregon. I have never been there but to Utah and a lot of other states. I have a Son that lives in Henderson, NV and go there quite often.
Utah is a beautiful state and I hope to visit Oregon in the future.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #10

Outdoor faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_ho View Post
Can't say I've ever heard of him (or his DBAs) but yes, there are far too many contractors flitting around trying to make a quick paycheck without the knowledge, ability, or desire to complete their jobs. It makes it so much harder for the honest guys to earn a living.

Local subs have always worked out better for me than the Chattanooga crowd (I mostly work in Walker County). The local yokels give advice more freely, know the best guys in the various trades, and generally take more pride in their work. And the good-ole-boy network is great for enforcing quality workmanship and ethical business practice.

The BBB is worse than useless. They'll probably contact the contractor in an attempt to extort some membership fees, but they don't do anything for consumers anymore. If they ever did. You might have better luck with sending this character a certified letter through the US Mail listing all the contract violations and demanding that he either complete the project or refund the payments. Maybe talk a couple of those big Ridgeland boys to tell him twice.

Oops, I almost started ranting...This outta state joker you found just burns me to a fare-thee-well.

It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on the yard spigot issues. Just watch that frost line; we got down below freezing last night. I know a good concrete finisher from Chickamauga. I don't know if he does much of the fancy texturing, but I always get him to pour my foundation slabs and driveways. I can dig up his number if you'd like.

Good luck with everything, and it's great seeing a local on here!
Look him up at www.mountainbrookepools.com. If this does not work you can get his site by googling MountainBrooke Pools.

I even sent a letter to Calvin Sneed and did not hear a word from him either.

If I was a bigger and younger (I am 75 years old) I would handle this situation in a more physical way. The sales people at Porter Paint sold me the xylene color stain at a good price 31.00 per gallon and if the weather holds out, I will just apply it myself since I have got too much in the job already.

Where in Rossville do you live? I live in Valley View subdivision in Flintstone which is just over the hill from Ridgeland.

I go to HD and Lowes 2 or 3 times a day and maybe someday I will see you there.

If you give me your contact information, I am always needing something done like right now I need the pull down stairs moved from my hall to the garage because it is directly over one of my returns and the return pulls hot air down from the attic and causes my airconditoining to run too much.

You can send me a private message with your contact information and that way no one will have it unless you want to give it to them.

Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Outdoor faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
...I know it gets cold in Oregon...
Yes, I have seen a few "ice fountains" created from frozen yard faucets which someone forgot to wrap with cloth for the winter.

BTW that nice looking yard hydrant above works the same as the other one further up (frost proof). When you turn it off, it drains out the bottom.

They don't have the price listed. I imagine it is not cheap, but if anyone finds the price, please post it.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #12

Outdoor faucets

I have sent them e-mail asking for a price quite on one (1). Will see if they answer me. I will post the price if they do.

What I have decided I need to do is install a Key Ground Stop Waste Valve under the ground and come off it upward with the pipe for the faucett.

The faucetts in my yard are installed from my landscape meter of which I blow out to winterize it so I guess I don't actually need the self draining valve but would like to have it fixed that way just in case I don't get it blown out good. I have the faucetts wrapped really good now, just in case. Last year I wrapped them and also turned plastic bucket over each of them.

Tom

Last edited by TGMcCallie; 11-12-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: further explain
Old 11-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #13

Outdoor faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
Where in Rossville do you live? I live in Valley View subdivision in Flintstone which is just over the hill from Ridgeland.

I go to HD and Lowes 2 or 3 times a day and maybe someday I will see you there.

If you give me your contact information, I am always needing something done like right now I need the pull down stairs moved from my hall to the garage because it is directly over one of my returns and the return pulls hot air down from the attic and causes my airconditoining to run too much.
I'm off the south end of Wilson Road, about a half-mile from Ridgeland. And I know exactly where Valley View is; I've been working off-and-on for about six years at Turkey Run...I don't suppose you're the gentleman with the wide-brim hat I would see about every day taking walks, are you? I would have been driving a beat-up red pickup truck with a bad muffler.

You can call me at **********. My name is Casey Martin. My partner is David Couch (also my brother) and he can be reached at **********. We'll be out of town working on a barn all next week, but give a call and we can figure something out. Might have to leave a message; there's no cell phone coverage out in the boonies where I'll be.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #14

Outdoor faucets

Casey, what a small world. I am the person with the sombrero that you see walking my Shiba Inu (Miko) about 10 times a day. I have seen you regularly in your red truck as you go to and from Turkey Run and in front of my house. I live the second house on the left, orange colored brick, going up Valley View toward Turkey Run.

Which house did you work on in Turkey Run? Did you do work for Rick Wilson. I know just about everyone up there. I went to school with John Vitigilo's wife Wanda.

I am in the process of having a 17 KW whole house generator installed and they should finish up Monday. Would like to see what it would cost me to move the pull down stairs. I have printed off your answer and that way will have your phone number.

Are you still working in Turkey Run? If so stop by to see me sometime. I am home about all the time except starting November 28th I will be working with H&R Block where I have been preparing taxes for the last 10 years after I retired from Estes Express Lines. If you need someone to prepare your taxes keep me in mind. I work at the Rossville office on the corner of Rossville Blvd. directly across from Walter A Wood Supply. We are starting Nov. 30th doing the Emerald Advance which is a Christmas time advance of your taxes which you repay from your refund. One of the qualiications is you have to have your 2010 taxes prepared by H&R to qualify. If you had your taxes done by H&R last year and want to do this line of credit call ********** and set up appointment with me. If not just call and set up appointment with me to do your 2011 taxes.

I was going to have a roof extended from my 2 story barn out over my pool furniture but have to put that off probably until next year since I bought the generator.

Tom McCallie **********
Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Outdoor faucets

Hey guys. Sharing your phone numbers with the world on a forum is very unwise and could be considered spam. If you wish to get together, please share personal information in PMs. Tom: you'll need to post more until you hit 20 posts before you have PM permissions.

Sorry guys.

It's for your own safety and well being. If you don't understand why, I'll give you both a call at 3:00 AM and explain it.

DM

harry_ho (11-13-2011), oh'mike (11-13-2011)