Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |

Outdoor faucet - repair or replace?

Wall mounted outdoor faucet is dripping. Appears to be doped and not soldered, and the faucet has an anti-siphon valve doped to the bottom. I don't think it's anti-frost, since the fixture does not extend into the wall on the outside (but not sure). There appears to be plenty of room to cut the copper pipe, but I'm unsure if there is something from the fixture extending into this pipe.

Could this be repairable without replacing the faucet? I'm thinking it probably should be soldered. I've sweated on pipes before but it's been many years, and will have to go get a torch. There is no easy access to the pipes in the wall.

Thanks.

ETex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Have you tried replacing the washer on the stem?
If it's just a regular outdoor faucet, nothing extends into the pipe, just the 1 1/2 inches of thread.
FYI- If you decide to replace the faucet, there is a nice little connector made by Sharkbite that will simply push on the copper pipe. About $5 each but better for your purpose than buying a torch just to sweat one joint.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #3

I fixed it with the Sharkbyte faucet yesterday. I agree, LOTS easier than sweating it on. I think all I really needed was a washer, but the old faucet was put on so tight, that I was afraid I'd bend or crimp the copper pipe just trying to get it apart. So I just cut the pipe with a pipe cutter.

As it turns out, it was a frost-free faucet, and had the stem that went into the wall inside of the copper pipe. Was told that was quite unusual. Went won't have the frost-free anymore but in Texas, they're rarely needed. I'll just wrap it instead or put one of those insulated boxes over it.

Thanks for the help.
ETex2 is offline   Reply With Quote