Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor Faucet Locked Up

I have a Woodford outdoor faucet that will not open. It is not like it was closed too tight. It is locked into place. I am convinced if I forced it the handle would just break apart.

Since I have a working faucet on the other side of the house, I just haven't worried about it, but now I have new landscaping that would be much easier to water with this faucet. The strange thing is, two seasons ago it worked perfectly, then the next season, its locked up again. Before I replace it, is there some fix for this?

Dave B

Pdtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Outdoor Faucet Locked Up

Turn off the water to the faucet. If there is no valve to cut it off with then cut the water off to the whole house. Turn off the breaker to the hot water heater. If there is a shut off on the hot water heater shut it off too. This prevents drain back through the heater. Turning off the breaker will protect the elements if the tank does siphon out. Now take the packing nut loose behind the handle. If the nut does not come out then turn the faucet handle at the same time. If you get it apart then you may be able to see whats going on with it. After you are done, purge the water heater by turning on the water, open a hot tap until no air comes out, then reset the breaker. The faucet may need to be replaced, if so and there is no valve to shut it off with then install one as part of replacing the hose bib.

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Outdoor Faucet Locked Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
Turn off the water to the faucet. If there is no valve to cut it off with then cut the water off to the whole house. Turn off the breaker to the hot water heater. If there is a shut off on the hot water heater shut it off too. This prevents drain back through the heater. Turning off the breaker will protect the elements if the tank does siphon out. Now take the packing nut loose behind the handle. If the nut does not come out then turn the faucet handle at the same time. If you get it apart then you may be able to see whats going on with it. After you are done, purge the water heater by turning on the water, open a hot tap until no air comes out, then reset the breaker. The faucet may need to be replaced, if so and there is no valve to shut it off with then install one as part of replacing the hose bib.

The only thing I'd add is to be careful...sometimes that packing nut behind the handle is a reverse thread (clockwise to loosen). I've never used Woodford, so I don't know for sure. My local suppliers only carry Mansfield and Watts.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Outdoor Faucet Locked Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
The only thing I'd add is to be careful...sometimes that packing nut behind the handle is a reverse thread (clockwise to loosen). I've never used Woodford, so I don't know for sure. My local suppliers only carry Mansfield and Watts.
Woodfords are not reverse threads.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote