Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Share |

Outdoor Faucet....How To Use ?

I attempted to use an outdoor faucet for the first time yesterday and discovered a different type of faucet than what I was used to .
Upon connecting the hose it just sprays all over the place. It has the centre shaft pin with the surrounding holes around the perimeter.
I've attached an image of a similar faucet.
Can any help?
thanks

wee-haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
fabrk8r

"The rubber washer inside the vacuum breaker has failed and needs to be replaced. This is accomplished by unthreading the vacuum breaker from the body of the hydrant and replacing the internals. The vacuum breaker is sealed to the body with a body sealant and may require heat to break loose."

via the product support link here:
http://www.prier.com/product/C_155_F...um_Breaker_BFP

This may or may not be the problem with your faucet, because I'm not sure what brand you have. It may just be that the washer in your unit is stuck or the washer in your hose end is damaged or missing.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post

"The rubber washer inside the vacuum breaker has failed and needs to be replaced. This is accomplished by unthreading the vacuum breaker from the body of the hydrant and replacing the internals. The vacuum breaker is sealed to the body with a body sealant and may require heat to break loose."

via the product support link here:
http://www.prier.com/product/C_155_F...um_Breaker_BFP

This may or may not be the problem with your faucet, because I'm not sure what brand you have. It may just be that the washer in your unit is stuck or the washer in your hose end is damaged or missing.
Thanks fabrk8r. I'll check it out.
Can you tell me whay this type of faucet actually does (I have no idea the purpose of this design)?
Thanks
wee-haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Household Handyman

As "fabrk8r" stated: The device attached to the faucet is technically a "Backflow Prvention Device", or BPD. This device allows water to flow from the faucet but will not allow water to flow backwards into the faucet and home piping. Example: IF your were mixing up a tank of chemicals to maybe spray your lawn and left the tank unattended for even a few minutes, then the water supply somehow got shut down and you lost pressure. The BPD will prevent any water/chemical mixture from entering your home plumbing. The rubber washer, or some internal part, has most likely failed inside your BPD unit causing the water to spray out where it should not spray out. Some of these units are put on with a type of sealant, around here the local City Utility crimps them on- -I hate that, it ruins the faucet threads. Some of these even have a set screw, maybe look to see if yours has one. Bottom line is that you do need to replace this unit. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #5

you dont need a new unit, you need a rebuilkd kit for an arrowhead sillcock. Get the kit for the upper vac breaker at the same time and replace them both. That lower portion will come off with a channel lock or strap wrench.
bartnc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bartnc37 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (05-25-2010)