Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

ouside drain system over flowing help !

Please Help !!! We Have A Problem With Our Drain Overflowing Outside And I Think It May Have A Lift Station. Looks Like Some Electic Kind Of Box But Don't Know Where The Tank Maybe. I Have Snaked It But To Nothing Happens. My Toliets Were Bubbling. Then They Have To Be Plunged Constantly, There Is Some Waste Going From One Toliet To The Next Then To The Down Stairs Tub. I Really Need Some Help. Thank You For Your Time

@mber @dams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 522

more info needed,,,are you on a central,,,city,,,sewer system??Or septic tank?? lift pump???

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #3

I am on city sewage I hope that will help !
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I would call the city. They should be able to come out and tell you if it is their problem or yours.

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #5

i took that advice and called the city hoping it would be on thier end and thank you had no idea they would come out for free and check it . Bad news it was on my end. This is what i know now : I am still having the problem but we have narrowed it down( With the help of the city guy and 2 local plumbers), I have a lift station system that runs on city sewage and my pump is not working BUT It is set up like none they have ever seen. They tell me dig all around the pipe line to help see the problem. What do I do then???? Does anyone know how a lift station pump works?
I have tried the circut breaker since there is a power source that is supposed to help it to run and nothing happens. I am going to dig till then Thank you
Old 11-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by @mber @dams View Post
i took that advice and called the city hoping it would be on thier end and thank you had no idea they would come out for free and check it . Bad news it was on my end. This is what i know now : I am still having the problem but we have narrowed it down( With the help of the city guy and 2 local plumbers), I have a lift station system that runs on city sewage and my pump is not working BUT It is set up like none they have ever seen. They tell me dig all around the pipe line to help see the problem. What do I do then???? Does anyone know how a lift station pump works?
I have tried the circut breaker since there is a power source that is supposed to help it to run and nothing happens. I am going to dig till then Thank you

In most towns the lift stations our thers. In your case it sounds like your sewer outflow from your house is below the city sewer. If that is the case
you have a waste sump outside your house. Inside the sump you will have a solid waste pump. This pump is like a sump pump but it is for solid waste. It sounds like your pump is not working. The sump should be in line with the sewer line comming out of your house and the street. The sewer line going into the sump should have some sort of backflow device in it. It may have a duckbill rubber flap on it.
As for how they work ,The sewage from your house flows into the sump until it gets to a preset level then the pump starts and lifts the sewage into a line that runs to the city sewer. Your footings drains should not run into this sump. Make sure you have power at the pump, if you do replace the pump, don't try to repair it. And make sure you replace it with one big enough to do the job. I have seen when people have added a bathroom and not increased their pump and ended up with your problem.

Hope this helped
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 522

A plumber should have access to a sewage pump,,,one for solids(and HAIR). Should be able to plug that in with an extension cord till it pumps down and you can see whats NOT working. OR you COULD buy a spare(sounds as if your gonna need it anyway). Can you SEE where it is pumped up too? If they wont let you pump grey water on the grass,,,have to get a sucker truck,,,that pumps septics etc. The HAIR kills these pumps the quickest!!!

If you have to pump down just a little,,,maybe you can find some plastic or metal barrels for temp till it works,then dump them back in(keeps costs down),,,how big of holding tank is this outside where tho pump is located??Like an over sized barrel??

Last edited by 4just1don; 11-27-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
A plumber should have access to a sewage pump,,,one for solids(and HAIR). Should be able to plug that in with an extension cord till it pumps down and you can see whats NOT working. OR you COULD buy a spare(sounds as if your gonna need it anyway). Can you SEE where it is pumped up too? If they wont let you pump grey water on the grass,,,have to get a sucker truck,,,that pumps septics etc. The HAIR kills these pumps the quickest!!!

If you have to pump down just a little,,,maybe you can find some plastic or metal barrels for temp till it works,then dump them back in(keeps costs down),,,how big of holding tank is this outside where tho pump is located??Like an over sized barrel??

Pro built ones are just like a septic tank. 500-1500 gal I have seen home made ones that they use a 55 gal drum. Sludge will build up on the bottom over time. I think it would be a good idea to open up the tank to check on it once a year. That would be a good time to take a hose and break up any sludge on the bottom of the tank and spray down the walls and the pump. This will also let you see how the pump is working and also how it sounds.
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #9

Thank you . You were right !!! we got a "pump master- (a nice plumber) " the pump was not working and the float was broken there was no vent on tank. The tank was 30 gallons by the way. It was wired to the wrong breaker.( no wonder we couldn't find the breaker ) So in short for someone who may have this problem to have someone fix it the cost was around $200.00 which I was expecting to have to give atleast arm and leg. It would be realtivly easy to fix this yourself if you know what to look for.Thank you to all that have helped us with our problem