Opinions Wanted On Good One-hand PEX Cinch Tool? Apollo Brand Any Good? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Opinions wanted on good one-hand PEX cinch tool? Apollo brand any good?

With an upcoming shower remodel, I'll be venturing into the world of PEX, replacing copper plumbing in the shower with PEX.

I need a good cinch (not crimp) tool that won't break the bank, since I won't be using it all that often. In talking to others and reading others' opinions of cinch tools, it seems most really like the racheting one-hand cinch tools, since it can get into tight spots, and it allows you to hold the fitting in place with one hand, while using the tool with the other.

Most of these cost around $100. However, I did find one made by Apollo at Lowes for $50. Looks very similar in build to the $100 ones. But it gets mixed reviews, although in reading the reviews, I don't know if the people who gave it a negative review just didn't know how to use it properly?

Has anyone used this Apollo tool, and if so, do you like it? Or can anyone recommend another one that is a better deal than the $100 ones?

Advertisement

Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

#1 Make sure you can find the fitting to use it localy before buying one.
I bought the Kobault bbrand sold at Lowes only to find out no one within 50 miles stocks the clamps so it's never been used.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Good tip, but I believe one cinch tool should work for all brands and sizes of cinch fittings. Was planning to get the cinch fittings at Menards.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,608

I haven't used the Apollo tool, but the company itself is respected.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Another cinch tool I was looking at was this top rated Kobalt model for $90. However, I just now noticed that in zooming in on the photos of that and the Apollo model linked in the original post, the two look identical, except for different color handles and being sold under diff't names. My guess is they are both made by the same manufacturer, and just resold under different brand names. I feel better now about the Apollo when the identical model by Kobalt gets great reviews. The Kobalt model has a lifetime warranty, but I think I'll save $40 and get the Apollo model with the two year warranty.

Last edited by Studly; 05-20-2013 at 01:04 PM.