Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Share |

Opinions on RectorSeal Clean Check Backwater Valves?

Looking for opinions on one of these http://www.rectorseal.com/Clean-Chec...ter-Valves.php. Do they work well? Easy to service?

Please provide input (good or bad). I am contemplating installing one at my house.

Thanks

Mr Blotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

When BW valves are required- that is what I've been using for years

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Master Plumber

Not allowed here in Florida, I P C

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blotto View Post
Looking for opinions on one of these http://www.rectorseal.com/Clean-Chec...ter-Valves.php. Do they work well? Easy to service?

Please provide input (good or bad). I am contemplating installing one at my house.

Thanks
I actually know 2 of the original inventors/investors of this valve(that makes me special, huh ) One of the guys was a state plumbing inspector at the time of design.
When the valves are required outside, the installation is a breeze. When finished, all you see is a 6" clean out cap at ground level.
The 4" vertical pipe inside of the 6" riser acts like a handle extension of the flapper. Simply remove the cap, grab the 4" riser and lift remove the flapper for service. The flapper is keyed for easy alignment.
A word of caution though- as with any swing joint back water valve, if paper or solids stop in the valve seat you won't get 100% seal and be sure that whoever is rodding your main knows that you have a back water valve installed.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I do like the design, but I wish they had an insert of some kind that you could lower into the valve assembly to manually shut the valve during a flood event (to make sure the valve seats/creates a seal). I wonder if I could rig something to lower down there to shove against the flapper...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blotto View Post
Thanks for the replies. I do like the design, but I wish they had an insert of some kind that you could lower into the valve assembly to manually shut the valve during a flood event (to make sure the valve seats/creates a seal). I wonder if I could rig something to lower down there to shove against the flapper...
I'm sure you could. But that would mean you would have to be there when the flood starts.
What exactly is the issue with your line?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

The sanitary sewer main in my street backs up during extreme rain events (due to infiltration), and tries to back up into my house. I have a flood control system (consisting of a pit in my front yard containing a backwater valve, a sewer over flow port, and an ejector pump that pumps anything that makes its way past the backwater valve and/or any water used inside the house out to the street) between the main and my house, but it was installed 20-30 years ago and the valve no longer seats. The only thing that keeps me from flooding is the ejector pump (that is part of the flood control system) that can keep ahead of the sewage coming in. If my power goes out, I am screwed. Due to the logisitcs, to replace the valve in the flood control system, I would have to plunk down around $5k. As an alternative, I was thinking of installing the Clean Check valve just behind of the existing flood control system, as a second layer of defence.

I was also looking that the Mainline Adapt-A-Valve, but it only comes in 3 or 4" - I need 6".