Opening Hole To Accomodate 2" Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Opening hole to accomodate 2" pipe

When you need to open an existing hole in a joist or top plate that used to have a 1.5" PVC pipe going thru it, to now fit a 2" thru it, how do you do it? I assume those chipping type boring bits don't work well when there is an existing hole?

Advertisement

Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Could always try a 2" hole saw with a pilot bit. On the backside of your existing 1.5" hole, attach a scrap piece of wood to give the pilot bit something to bite into and keep the hole saw from wandering as it cuts the new sized hole.

Advertisement

H8Mondays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Electrician

That'll work. But this seems like a common type of upgrade so I was wondering what plumbers usually do in this situation.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Mondays suggestion is a good one----very good--I'm going to steal that.

Only addition to that one might be to drill out the pilot block first --then clamp the block on.

Most people use a jig saw.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Another technique is to insert a 1-1/2 inch wooden or foam plug into the hole, then use the plug so you can center the bit.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Electrician

I see. I figured there was a tool made for this or something, maybe like a big wood cutting Uni-bit .

If you are going to use a holesaw, you can always use the old trick of screwing a smaller hole saw onto the arbor inside of the bigger hole saw. This makes the smaller hole saw the "pilot bit" since it's guiding the bigger one thru. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but it works. I just hate drilling wood with hole saws when I don't have to, I like the boring bits.

Speaking of 2" pipe, am I going to have a problem fitting a 2" trap and drain system inside of a 2X10" joist space underneath my shower receptor? I was looking at the traps at the supply house and they seem pretty big. It almost seems like where the trap sweeps back up as it exits the pipe is going to be coming out right at the top of the joists, I'd hate to have to notch the top of joists instead of being able to drill thru the middle.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Look at different traps--top of trap is usually just a bit higher than the top of pipe--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
I see. I figured there was a tool made for this or something, maybe like a big wood cutting Uni-bit .

If you are going to use a holesaw, you can always use the old trick of screwing a smaller hole saw onto the arbor inside of the bigger hole saw. This makes the smaller hole saw the "pilot bit" since it's guiding the bigger one thru. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but it works. I just hate drilling wood with hole saws when I don't have to, I like the boring bits.
Thats a cool idea! never seen it but makes total sense. I use a sawzall and a long demo blade and skillfully hack away. I've gotten pretty good at it

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote