DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Opening hole to accomodate 2" pipe

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TheEplumber 
#1 ·
When you need to open an existing hole in a joist or top plate that used to have a 1.5" PVC pipe going thru it, to now fit a 2" thru it, how do you do it? I assume those chipping type boring bits don't work well when there is an existing hole?

#4 ·
Mondays suggestion is a good one----very good--I'm going to steal that.

Only addition to that one might be to drill out the pilot block first --then clamp the block on.

Most people use a jig saw.---Mike---

#6 ·
I see. I figured there was a tool made for this or something, maybe like a big wood cutting Uni-bit :laughing:.

If you are going to use a holesaw, you can always use the old trick of screwing a smaller hole saw onto the arbor inside of the bigger hole saw. This makes the smaller hole saw the "pilot bit" since it's guiding the bigger one thru. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but it works. I just hate drilling wood with hole saws when I don't have to, I like the boring bits.

Speaking of 2" pipe, am I going to have a problem fitting a 2" trap and drain system inside of a 2X10" joist space underneath my shower receptor? I was looking at the traps at the supply house and they seem pretty big. It almost seems like where the trap sweeps back up as it exits the pipe is going to be coming out right at the top of the joists, I'd hate to have to notch the top of joists instead of being able to drill thru the middle.

#8 ·
I see. I figured there was a tool made for this or something, maybe like a big wood cutting Uni-bit :laughing:.

If you are going to use a holesaw, you can always use the old trick of screwing a smaller hole saw onto the arbor inside of the bigger hole saw. This makes the smaller hole saw the "pilot bit" since it's guiding the bigger one thru. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but it works. I just hate drilling wood with hole saws when I don't have to, I like the boring bits.
Thats a cool idea! :thumbsup: never seen it but makes total sense. I use a sawzall and a long demo blade and skillfully hack away. I've gotten pretty good at it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.