Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Share |

Only hot or cold water

I recently had a new gas water heater (not tankless) installed in my home. Since then I have no warm water in my kitchen. The kitchen has a single handle faucet while all others in the home have the two handle style. When I turn the faucet on in the kitchen and put it in the middle I only get cold water. I move the handle to almost full left and still no warm water. Its not until the handle is at the full left position that I get hot water. It goes from ice cold to steaming hot, no middle ground.

Now in the rest of the house I can make warm water, but its not the same as before I got the new heater. In one of the showers, for instance, I turn the hot water on and its as expected. When I go to make usable warm water I have to turn the cold handle just slightly or the water will become too cold. The water pressure seems the same in both cold and hot sides.

One thing that was changed during the instal of the new heater is that the heater has been moved from inside the home to outside in a closet. The move was basically from one side of a wall to the other, but about 6 feet of line was aded to reach the top of the heater. I'm not sure if this is a factor, but worth mentioning. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DiyPadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Only hot or cold water

I'll also mention that our home has very low water pressure, about 30 lbs.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Only hot or cold water

the water pressure surely isn't helping anything but do you have any idea what the temp setting was on the old heater and what it is in the new one?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #4

Only hot or cold water

The temp doesn't seem to make any difference. I've changed it from just above warm to all the way hot and it does the same thing.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Only hot or cold water

it sounds like there may be a restriction in the hot water line. That could be before or after the heater.

is there any discernible difference in the hot water pressure since the new heater?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

Only hot or cold water

Probably trash in the fixture valve. You'll have to take it apart & clean it out. It never fails when someone replaces water lines or water heater. Trash comes loose & makes it's way to 1 or all of the valves
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #7

Only hot or cold water

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
it sounds like there may be a restriction in the hot water line. That could be before or after the heater.

is there any discernible difference in the hot water pressure since the new heater?
Yes, we have noticed a drop in hot water pressure since the install.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #8

Only hot or cold water

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Probably trash in the fixture valve. You'll have to take it apart & clean it out. It never fails when someone replaces water lines or water heater. Trash comes loose & makes it's way to 1 or all of the valves
Sounds very possible. We are on a well here and our old heater was clogged with all sorts of crap. Since we moved in we had a whole house filter/ softener installed and now a new heater. I bet you're right that some of the trash that had built up over the years came out. I'll check that out, thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
HVAC / Plumbing

Only hot or cold water

Just an FYI. trash could make it's way to other fixtures until it's flushed out or makes it's way out of the water lines

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warm water, water heater