Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #1

Share |

One gurgling toilet, one overflowing toilet and garden tub and a whole lotta mess!

DISCLAIMER: I've done a TON of remodeling work in our 25 year old home and I've really done tons of homework on being a responsible home-owner and DIYer (thank the Lord for YouTube and DIY books!), but this issue has me stumped. Before having my hubby dig up our yard (he's a Federal employee and with the upcoming sequestration, we can't afford a plumber at this time) or break out the power tools and start whacking pipes or drywall (groan), I'd like to pick your brains, if I may.

However, that said, I'm not a plumber. And I honestly appreciate every last bit of information, advice, suggestions or criticisms you might be kind enough to give me.

__________________________________________________ ________

Here's how our plumbing system is laid out (the best I can deduce and from the tidbits I've been told by plumbers we've hired in the past) as so:

"Main" vent pipe -> Kid's bathroom -> kitchen sink/dishwasher -> laundry room/washing machine -> garage sink -> our bathroom -> clean-out (outside) -> main sewer drain line.

In kid's bathroom ~ When the kids take shower, toilet gurgles and shower/tub backs up.

In laundry room, if I use my washing machine (sometimes in conjunction when a child uses THEIR shower whilst I'm doing laundry), the toilet in *our* bathroom (again, the last plumbing fixture in our plumbing "chain") overflows and the garden tub backs up (with a lovely concoction of faecal matter and other associated goop).

No other fixtures back up so and spew mess.

Basically, if a large amount of water flows through our pipes at one time, it affects our bathroom, no other fixtures are directly affected. However, all drains involved are SLOW. We're talking a gallon of water in my kitchen sink, or any tub/shower takes seemingly forever to drain.

Is it safe to assume that rather than the vent being blocked, we have a clog in the main sewer/drain line?

If so, would it be feasible for me to attempt to clear out the clog using an auger/snake (fuelled either by hand or by drill ~ the sort you buy at Home Depot or Lowes) via the outside clean-out (our home is a ranch style home and as far as I know, we do not have a clean-out indoors)? Or would it be better to snake the vent FIRST and then take care of what I believe to be a clog in our main drain/sewer line? Or vice-versa?

I hope you don't think I'm a total idiot. Like I said, I'm no plumber and if the sequestration weren't looming over our heads like an ugly vulture with a mean streak, we'd call a plumber. But as I said, with the sequestration in our near future, we have to focus on keeping the house. :/

Thanks ever so much in advance! <3

Last edited by BeachBoheme; 03-14-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added information that might be important
BeachBoheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #2

One gurgling toilet, one overflowing toilet and garden tub and a whole lotta mess!

I will save you some time here any photos or drawings will help whom ever gives you advise!

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
registered

Its your main sewer pipe. Hit the clean-out in your front yard both directions. Well actually. Here is what you want to do. Unscrew the clean-out. Have somebody flush the toilet. Do you see water coming to clean-out. If no snake from clean-out to house. If yes snake from clean-out to road. You need to rent a power rodder. Not a little hand held snake. Be careful. Those things can jump back and bite you. Put the cutting blade on it.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Hardway (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Is this house on a slab?
Septic or town sewer?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
registered

i'm assuming your on town sewer. If septic you could have big trouble.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Sewer snake your main sewer. If septic system get it pumped and fixed.

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clogged drain pipe, gurgling noise, plumbing, vent pipe