Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Old well / no pump /any good?

I moved into a house 7 years ago, the well pump inlet was rotten at galvanized pipe above ground. I remodeled and cut and threw all pump, pipe, etc. Away. How do i go about installing new pump and if well is still good? The pipe still sticks up about 2 feet and has been open to elements since. I want this for my garden. Any info would be greatly appreciated.thanx. Also i dont know how deep it is either. Sorry

gusco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not a pro well man, just an old DIYer.
If it were me, I would just hand-drive or wash down a new shallow well point-and-pipe and hookup a new pump and pressure tank to it. It is highly likely that an old galvanized well pipe and more likely the old perforated well point are corroded up badly after sitting for that long anyway.
Check with your local Health Department for shallow well (25' or less from tip of point to pump) information and recommendations. You will need a permit from them for a well in any case.
When I have put down shallow wells down here just south of you, I always have used a 5' point and 3 five-foot 1.25" galvanized joints of pipe for the well, and add a check valve to maintain prime on the well side of the pump
I would go with a 3/4-hp pump (instead of a half-horse), which is what I did last time I put one down, so I could run two water hose sprinklers with good distance at once.
Good Luck!
Down here, a turn-key shallow well job by a plumber will run about $700. You can do it yourself for a little more than half of that.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 03-18-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,040

It's very important to know how deep the well is before deciding what type or HP of pump to install.

Can you lift the old galv. pipe out of the well? You'll need help with this, but you can cut it into pieces with a sawzall as it is lifted out. This will tell you how deep the well is.

If it's a single pipe, it likely isn't over 30' deep. If it's two pipes, it could be 200' deep.

A single pipe system with the pump aboveground will pull water up about 25'. A two pipe system is good for about 120'. A submersible pump will provide more water per HP than any aboveground pump at any depth.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote