DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Old Water Heaters - replace or wait to fail?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Missouri Bound 
#1 · (Edited)
Water Heaters (3) in-line - replace or wait to fail?

I have 3 old water heaters in a chain (water into #1, which feeds #2, which feeds #3, which feeds the house) in my vacation townhome. Trying to decide if I should swap them out for one new 75 gal tank, or just wait for 1 or 2 to fail before incurring the expense. Seems to me that if one or two fail, I can just bypass them in the chain and keep on showering. Make sense?

#3 ·
Thanks for responding, VIPlumber.

There are 3 units. Two are original (30+ years). One is not original but definitely over 15 yrs old. Never flushed to my knowledge (owned by wife's family). Municipal water supply.

They are located in a "pit" with a sump pump under the home. The place gets used 6-10 weeks a year.

#4 ·
Municipal water is good, probably doesn't need flushing as often as one on a well, but they should be flushed every 12 months or so. Sometimes the municipality flushes their water system and guess where it ends up?

They're in a sump pit? Good in case of a leak but exactly what are they sitting on? If it's right at the bottom of the pit, or on concrete blocks, then you'll probably be looking at rust/corrosion through the bottom. Best if they're elevated above the highest fill point of the sump pit and sitting on on a plywood sheet with perhaps concrete blocks underneath.

Two at ~30 years? Nice, they don't make them like they used to, do they?

#6 ·
OK..I have to ask. Do all of them heat water or are some of them storage tanks? I like the idea of a tempering tank. If the anodes are refreshed when needed the tanks can last a very long time.

#7 ·
Thanks

Brand is American. I assume all 3 heat the water...two of the 3 are gas fired and both are connected to the gas line. The third is electric. All 3 are sitting on the floor of the sump pit...2 on concrete and one on dirt. I'm quite sure they have never been flushed, nor have the anodes ever been replaced (or even checked). Sounds to me like they lasted this long because they were well made, in spite of the neglect. This townhome is in S. Lake Tahoe, CA and is not inhabited much during the winter. If one of them leaks, we won't likely know for some time, which will probably cause damage to the other 2 and perhaps exacerbate the problem. I think I'm inclined to replace the three with one new 75 gal gas fired tank. Cost is approx. $1000, but at least I don't have an emergency situation to deal with 200 miles from home, which would cost a lot more. Still, I hate to replace what could hold out for another 20 years with a new unit that probably won't last 15 years!

Thanks to all for input.

#8 ·
The size of the water heater is usually determined by how many fixtures it has to service. Is the Townhome large that it could require 3 water heaters? I curently have an electric water heater in my home and when it's life is over I intend to install a heat pump water heater. Is this something you could use?

#9 ·
I don't know why there are 3 water heaters. The townhome is not large, but there are 3 bathrooms, and two of them have Jacuzzi tubs, which may explain it. We never use the tubs, so I can't see why we would need more than 1 water heater. Just looked at the heat pump water heater...looks like we don't meet the criteria for temperature range and space. Thanks.

#10 ·
My home is 2800 sq ft. and I currently use an 80 gallon electric water heater. It's way more than ust my wife and I need, but it was sized for the amount of fixtures, 3 baths, kitchen, laundry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.