Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Share |

Old shower faucet

I have been reading this site for awhile but this is my first post. I just purchased my first home and it is an older but well maintained house. Eventually we plan on redoing the tile in the master bathroom but in the short term I would to replace the shower head with a newer one with an extended arm due to its short height. The faucet is an old swivel head that appears to be fused to the arm. The arm extends well behind the tile and cement board. I have been reluctant to try to remove the arm because I am worried about being able to connect a new one without removing the tile (which I would prefer to do at a later date). My question- does anyone know of an adapter that can be placed over a swivel head to allow for the connection of a new faucet? Or is there a more simple fix that I am aware of.

I have some basic general construction experience but am very much a novice with much to learn. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Old shower faucet-image-2320679551.jpg   Old shower faucet-image-706020323.jpg  

anverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #2

Old shower faucet

Congratulations on your new home.The shower arm can't have another shower head attach to it. The shower arm would have to be unscrewed from the fitting in the wall. You will have to put channel locks or possibly a pipe wrench on it to remove it. There is a chance it could break off in the wall so apply slow even pressure. Then once its removed you can install a new one with teflon tape or pipe dope.

sanec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Old shower faucet

Thank you for the response. I thought that may have been the case. So here is my next novice question: if I do remove the existing arm and attach a new arm ( using thread sealant tape or goo) how do I know that the arm is fully seated in the fitting and is not leaking without being able to see the fitting clearly behind the wall? That is to say, if the arm is leaking at the fitting and dripping behind the cement board, I probably wouldn't know until I started seeing significant water damage, right?
anverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #4

Old shower faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anverb View Post
Thank you for the response. I thought that may have been the case. So here is my next novice question: if I do remove the existing arm and attach a new arm ( using thread sealant tape or goo) how do I know that the arm is fully seated in the fitting and is not leaking without being able to see the fitting clearly behind the wall? That is to say, if the arm is leaking at the fitting and dripping behind the cement board, I probably wouldn't know until I started seeing significant water damage, right?
is there an access panel on back of tub if so drips would show up there if shower arm is leaking.....most don't if you feel them tighten in good..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote