Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old Septic pipe flooding into crawl space

For years now my crawl space has flooded. I have installed french drains and two sump pumps for a 1050 sq foot home and the crawl space still flooded. The unusual part is it would not really flood until after all the rain (unless it rained for many days straight). So, I thought there must be an underground stream. I talked to neighbors and none of them were experiencing the same issue, so I thought maybe it isn't a spring. So, we just had a lot of rain and I decided to constantly check the crawl space to see if I saw the water rise. Turns out, there is a hole in the crawl space with a pipe in it (old septic tank) and water was just gushing out of this hole in the crawl space. This was the only area where water was coming from. My question is who would I call to come and take a look and possible seal up this pipe, or remove the old septic tank? I am on city sewage, so the septic is no longer used. I must also state, the water levels get really, really high in the crawlspace and on several occassions, almost to the floor joist. The two sump pumps can't pump fast enough and wanter continues to gush out of the old septic pipe days after the rain has stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Septic pipe flooding into crawl space-img_0272.jpg  

Last edited by ktipton; 04-13-2011 at 08:37 AM.
ktipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

I would start with the stopgap approach and seal both the pipe and the spaces around it where it enters the foundation.

There may be air pockets around the old septic tank or where the pipe enters the basement, or the septic tank itself may be harboring ground water if there is a hole in the septic tank allowing ground water to go in and out at will.

Water that spent any length of time inside the septic tank has become biohazardous.

Underground air pockets form a path of least resistance for water to collect where the water could find its way into your basement faster than it can soak into the ground directly underneath the pocket. The septic tank should not be that close to your house but if it is, you should have it dug up and removed.

Also check to be sure that gutter and downspout water and other rain water does not collect around the foundation or over where the septic tank lies.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

AllanJ, thanks so much for your info. I hadn't really thought about that and will certainly check all of your suggestions and hopefully it will take care of the issue I've lived with for 7 years.
ktipton is offline   Reply With Quote