Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old moen valve new trim

Does anyone know if there is a trim that will fit a 12 year old Moen roman Tub valve that was used with a Monticello trim? I would like to replace the polished brass trim with oil rubbed bronze without ripping out the whole tub. It's a two handle 10" spread.

PattiScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,950

Old moen valve new trim

Posting a picture always helps.
Why not just contact Moen direct with a picture of what you have?

gregzoll (08-08-2013), user1007 (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 534

Old moen valve new trim

yes the new stem is shorter. moen will send it too you. do not ask most people as they will tell you you need a new faucet
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Old moen valve new trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiScott View Post
Does anyone know if there is a trim that will fit a 12 year old Moen roman Tub valve that was used with a Monticello trim? I would like to replace the polished brass trim with oil rubbed bronze without ripping out the whole tub. It's a two handle 10" spread.

Does the current trim look like what I posted below ...2 screw holes at the bottom of the trim?

Moen only makes these in chrome but Brasscraft makes one HD Supply Part #: 410187, Manufacturer No.: SK0236 B

Attached Images

CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Old moen valve new trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
yes the new stem is shorter. moen will send it too you. do not ask most people as they will tell you you need a new faucet
Not necessarily but the desired trim may end up costing more than a completely new faucet assembly with the trim desired. Of course it is certainly not supposed to be this way. And which stem will be shorter? I am confused.

And we did not see a picture but I read the OP post to say he/she had a two handle, roman tub faucet situation with handles 10" apart? Did I read wrong? I am assuming something like this? But with some sort of decorative plate underneath the faucet and handles. Did I get it wrong, yet again? I don't think the cover plate offered up will work so far will work.

And will not the faucet assembly have to come off, at least in pieces, to get the trim in place anyhow? And won't a 12 year old faucet with a new piece of trim look rather obvious? Granted it is a Moen and could last the life of the house.

New faucet will come, one hopes with o-rings, cartridge or whatever brand new too. Faucet will match the trim.

Assuming no plumbing problems, replacing a tub faucet is time consuming but no big deal. You just have to remove and replace some layers of stuff to gain clearance. I always hire plumbers for such things but they are not allowed near opposing walls with drywall saws or sledge hammers to get drywall or plaster and lathe cleared so they can work. Plus the SOBs charge me for destroying walls I have to fix.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,202

Old moen valve new trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiScott View Post
If it's a deck mount- wide spread, the 10" center part means nothing when it comes to choosing trim. Moen sells the rough in valve seperate, then you choose the style/finish you like.
Montecello is still a widely used trim, whether it's connection design has changed is hard to say

You have 2 options,
Remove the existing trim and compare the valve's shank and stems to a new valve at a supplier.

Or call Moen....

I guess a third option is have your existing trim refinished
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Old moen valve new trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I guess a third option is have your existing trim refinished
Not a bad option at all. A hardware refinisher I used does stuff like this all the time. I just think of them in terms of antique door hardware they rescued and restored including even working mechanisms.

They are not outrageously or even that expensive. You would have to be without this piece of trim for a time though.

Will this look right and be what you want when done though?

http://www.albarwilmette.com/

Call them I guess and ask? They are fun folks.

Others I have used that are a little higher end are the magical restoration folks outside Cincy at Weibold. Equally friendly, just, ironically, more expensive. But not always.

http://www.wiebold.com/

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 534

Old moen valve new trim

the tub faucet is generally very hard to access. It is a matter of having moen send you the right parts for the job. As for refinishing, the old style trim is generally what people want changed, not the finish . The stem is the long plastic "rod" that connects to the handles. The new one will be shorter than the old one. It will fit, it is a headache to match up. In my case having to remove the whole soaker tub was not an option

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moen, monticello, trim, tub, valve