DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Old house new bathroom remodel (

adrosa 08-01-2010 05:56 PM

Old house new bathroom remodel
We have a house built in the eary 60's so everything is considered an "odd" size. Well we are trying to find a shower unit to replace our old tub but the dimensions are only 58" by 27 1/4" and we can't find a shower surround anywhere that fits. Does anyone know how we can go about finding a special size surround??

oh'mike 08-01-2010 06:03 PM

You probably have a 60" rough opening----That is as common as you can get.

The measurements for a tub or shower surround are taken from the framing(2x4s)--
They are not taken from the plaster,tile or drywall---a 60" tub is standard--and has been for over 100 years.---You want to look at surrounds for a 60" openings.---Mike---

secutanudu 08-02-2010 11:39 AM

When I remodeled my bathroom I had about a 59" rough-in opening. I had to shave the studs down by an inch on one side to get it in (on a non-load bearing wall).

But - you probably do have a 60" opening, as Mike said. Did you measure from drywall to drywall? Or from the studs?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1