DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Old Galvanized shower/bath inlets Relpace Pex? (

sssalas 09-08-2008 03:42 PM

Old Galvanized shower/bath inlets Relpace Pex?
The Shower bath is nothing fancy, just two knobs Hot-cold and a knob that switches to shower-bath function.
I have to replace very old galvanized inlet water pipes to the shower/bath, with pex pipe.
It looks like the old galvanized pipes are threaded into the fixture(s) hot/cold that look like brass that have a nut at the very top and taper to where the galvanized pipe is threaded in.
Im hoping to use adaptor 'Flare-it' 1/2 x 1/2 that will hopfully thread into the inlets...
Question, do I have to cut the galvanized pipe to loosen it from the brass fitting?
Will a regular pipe cutter do the job?
What if the brass and galvanized metal have seized, how can they be loosened?
Thank You!

rjniles 09-08-2008 04:37 PM

If your shower is old enough to be plumbed with galv., I think it is time to spring for a new valve along with the PEX re-plumb.

sssalas 09-08-2008 04:56 PM

Valve Replacement?
Thank You for Your Reply!

If I got a new valve thing ( I think your talking about all those other little pipe things; with one that runs up to the shower). Then all I would have to do is cut the inlet galvanized lines?

Ive read other posts where I think they are talking about the "valve tjhing" sweating fixutes; would I have to do that too??

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.