Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

old galvanized plumbing

Hello... I have an old house (1950) and the piping is all galvanized iron. I am trying to hook up my refrigerator ice make, but the only exposed galvanized pipe is a straight run in the heater closet behind my fridge. Is there any way to tap that pipe?

On an only slightly related note, is there any way to trace plumbing in a house to figure out which pipes go to what fixtures throughout the house?

teddosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

old galvanized plumbing

might want to drop a copper line down into the basement and catch someting off the HWH(copper going in maybe)or a run of pipe where you can add a tee or a union.if you have a union and can change the lenght of the pipes going in you could add a tee with shorter nipples.......and on the bull of the tee add a compression brass x male thread whatever your lines are.on tracing whats what run each faucet one at a time and mark them as you feel the pipes going up

Last edited by biggles; 12-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

old galvanized plumbing

hang on till a plumber gets here,, not sure about water pipes being galavanized, 50's house I would guess copper water lines, and you want a cold supply pipe for fridge hook up.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #4

old galvanized plumbing

No way to tap the pipe for installation of an icemaker line...Easy with copper, not so easy with galvanized. You'd need to unhook the pipe and install a T fittng and a valve.

You might consider removing the kitchen sink's cold water supply line to the faucet. There, you could install a T fitting below the faucet's shutoff valve. On the T fitting, a short nipple and a valve could be used to supply the icemaker line. If needed, the line could be ran back down through the floor and pop back up behind the fridge. Depending on the existing sink faucet supply line, you might need to install a flexible supply line to replace the one that you remove.
All of that is relatively easy to do for a DIYer.
I suggest the faucet supply line instead of plumbing in the basement because it is very difficult for most people to remove a section of pipe from the middle of the run of pipe since there's no union fitting in the middle of the run to make removal easy. It is easy to work on the end of the run.

If that idea sounds good, I'd suggest taking a picture of the plumbing under the sink and posting it here. We can help you with a shopping list if you need it, and can get further into the methodology.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #5

old galvanized plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
hang on till a plumber gets here,, not sure about water pipes being galavanized, 50's house I would guess copper water lines, and you want a cold supply pipe for fridge hook up.
Lots and lots of galvanized pipe used back then. My home was built in 1959 and was a nice mix of copper and galvanized (and the associated electrolysis corrosion from mixing the two). It is now copper and PEX, I ripped out all of the galvanized.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

old galvanized plumbing

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, there is no way to tap from the kitchen sink. It is across the kitchen from the refrigerator, and the kitchen sits on a slab. My basement is kind of behind and below the kitchen. I do have some pex in the basement from when I replumbed the utility sink and laundry hookups. Some of the galvanized was so corroded that when I tried to undo the unions, the threads sheared off and remained in the joint. Anyways, I may try to run copper all the way down there and interface with the pex.

The cold water in the kitchen seems to come from a pipe that goes into the concrete foundation. Is it possible that they buried a pipe in concrete slab?
teddosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 524

old galvanized plumbing

I think they MAY make a saddle for the galvanized pipe,,,BUT have heard they fail eventually...Getting into the pex would be MUCH better.

Putting a union in a straight stretch of galvanized isnt all that hard either IF there is a fraction of fudge room from the end going into a 90 elbow. Otherwise take a sawsall to the galvinized screw out BOTH ends,put flare fittings for copper on both ends and tee in the flared copper wherever you want I just did that and you probably want to tip that tee up so crap doesnt settle in it,,,you want the cleanest water you can for the fridge. Even tee off with bigger than needed pipe and reduce down to 'slow' the flow,,,hence carry capacity of crap of the flow. I stuck a 1/2 inch,,, 1/4 turn valve and then 'reduced' to 3/8 for the frig.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #8

old galvanized plumbing

Not sure if they make a sharkbite fitting that will work on galvanized, but if they do that would be super-easy.