Old Fashion Pitcher Pump/well Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 538

Old fashion pitcher pump/well problem

People,

i have a well that has both a Goulds pump pumping water from a galv pipe from the ground, and just 18" away, another pipe comes from the ground and there is a picher pump at the top. I yanked the old pump, bought new, put in a new check valve, screwed the picher pump on top of that. Now, below the check valve, say, 6" from the ground level, there is a shut off valve that when turnes, the valve stem just snapped. It just spins now.

The picher pump produces no water. Now also, the goulds elec pump lost its prime. Geez, what did I do? What is the function of that valve below the check valve? Its busted now. Will I have to replace it? And if so, does it have to be open or shut?

Thanks!

Advertisement

noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

A picture would help----The old gate valve broke in the off position (my guess) and the pump is above that so it can not suck up any water through the closed valve.

Advertisement

noquacks (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Big thanks, mike. I will try to get you a photo. But if i cant, is it a safe bet to plan on unscrewing the valve that broke? Kinda a no brainer, huh. Dang, Im gonna have to heat up that pipe with propane- its on there sooooo tight. Its been years.......

BUT, if its stuck shut like you said, and I snapped it when unscrewing/opening the valve, and assuming the valve froze in the ssame position, how do you explain that the Goulds pump next to it(I assume it goes to the same circuit) lost iTs prime??

Last edited by noquacks; 05-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

OK, just noticed theres no box/button/clicker on this page that allows one to attach a photo. How do you do it? (oops- just found it on the header in the quick reply......) no worry....

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to noquacks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
DIY staff

Hit 'go advanced' look for a paper clip.
noquacks (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #6

well mike, paper clip click was the easy part.....lol. I kinda gave up. Photobucket was too confusing to use. When will I learn.

Anyway, I went ahead and tried the propane toirch, heated up the female end, pipe came right off. Yup, the valve snapped inside, so Home Depot Monday morning. Guess I should simply [plan to get it patched up the same configuration, eh? Then, am I supposed to fill it with water to prime? That simple?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
DIY staff

Buy a full port ball valve---the gate valves are a constant problem.

As to priming--I think so----I have a submersible in my well---I only remember priming pumps from old John Wayne movies.----Mike----
noquacks (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Buy a full port ball valve---the gate valves are a constant problem.

As to priming--I think so----I have a submersible in my well---I only remember priming pumps from old John Wayne movies.----Mike----
Well (pun?), maybe my pump/well goes back to those time when John Wayne movies were made!!

Yeah, Mike, thats exactly it- it does look like a round gate is opening/closing! ball valve it is. As far as priming, I dont think its out of style though.......I understand you have to prime a pump, at least, my kind.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to noquacks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-21-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #9

installed a new ball valve type valve. man, those are pricey, but real nice. Now, does all it take is adding some water in the tube and pump away? cuz thats what I did and nothing. Maybe the cheap pump from Harbor freight??

Thanks,
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
installed a new ball valve type valve. man, those are pricey, but real nice. Now, does all it take is adding some water in the tube and pump away? cuz thats what I did and nothing. Maybe the cheap pump from Harbor freight??

Thanks,
You didn't say where you were putting the water in? You have to fill up the frount end of the pump and also enough water to fill up the pipe back to the check valve. That should do it. Just a little water won't do it. good luck it will work that way
del schisler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
noquacks (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,182

Noquacks's, sorry for butting in, but just trying to get a clear picture... Is the pitcher pump actually on a separate point, and did it actually function as a pitcher pump, or is it maybe connected to the other pump? The valve under it, and the proximity of the two is what is causing me to wonder; not that it's necessarily unique, but I don't recall ever seeing one set up that way. Maybe the leathers in it got bad at some point, and rather than replacing them, someone installed the check valve, and put the valve in there at the same time just because.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
noquacks (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Noquacks's, sorry for butting in, but just trying to get a clear picture... Is the pitcher pump actually on a separate point, and did it actually function as a pitcher pump, or is it maybe connected to the other pump? The valve under it, and the proximity of the two is what is causing me to wonder; not that it's necessarily unique, but I don't recall ever seeing one set up that way. Maybe the leathers in it got bad at some point, and rather than replacing them, someone installed the check valve, and put the valve in there at the same time just because.
To answer: pitcher is separate pump/pipe protruding from ground, say, 18" away from Goulds pump. Its new from H Freight, they done use leather anymore, I believe. peeked in there when installing it and theres blk rubber.

BUT, I finally got it to work!!! Yahoooooooo! You guys were right- gotta add water almost to the top like Del said above. Now, Im gonna try it for a few weeks, and if I dont like it, Ill send it back to China where it was made.

Thanks,
'People.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,182

Good deal, Noquacks! I didn't envy you, because the guys were right on, you do have to have them full, and the really frustrating thing is that sometimes you can be so doggone close, but not quite close enough, and then you end up second guessing the whole thing. And no offense intended by asking about the pitcher pump, but I've seen some crazy things, including people using an old pitcher pump as a hydrant, so just wanted to back up a bit and make sure. Anyway, the good thing is that yor're on your way.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
noquacks (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #14

Thanks for the comments, Dex! And help!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #15

oops, cant celebrate too early. Only thing that bothers me: there is a tiny leak at the connection for the goulds pump and the PVC pipe that supplies it, at the threads. Now, I can live with it for a while- pump always shifts because it sits on cement blocks, and moles always find a way to tunnel under and upset the base, pump drops and puts strain on PVC, and leakage.

Now, shouldnt the pump start on its own when say, some water leaks, dropping presure, and triggering the pumps starter motor? Then why did I loose prime before I did the repair to the PVC? (remember, pump shifted so bad say, a week ago, and I had to cut pvc and put in new, with fresh teflon/sealant)......

Advertisement