Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Old Crain Connection for Bathroom Sink Drain

Hey guys, I'm new and just created an account. I'm currently working on renovating a bathroom in my house. Have not had a probably with anything yet, but am now on the bathroom sink. I removed the old drain setup because it didn't work with the faucet I purchased. I am unsure if I can connect PVC drain piping to the fitting that is in the wall. I believe it is brass (?) and is 1-3/8" inner diameter. The galvanized ring was threaded onto this piece. Can I thread anything onto this older connection? Picture should hopefully show up below. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Here is the original set-up that I took off. It was galvanized, but there was a gap between the top of the P trap and the bottom of the plastic faucet drain...

I would just reattach this old stuff, but it is heavily rusted. Near the end, the pipe is cracked and beginning to flake off...

Last edited by dhcox36; 01-10-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fixed pictures2
dhcox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

If the drain was set to low in the wall you could have just bought a tail piece extention and cut it to the lenght you needed.
Your just missing a washer that's 1-1/4 on the inside to reduce the threaded adapter in the wall down.
Any standard trap should work if you just go buy the male on one end and female slip tail piece.
You would be better off with PVC drains then metal.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Master Plumber

1 trap adapter in the wall use a good 20 gauge trap assembly, get a deep bell escutcheon to cover the nut and hole. And use a brass PO assembly stay away from the plastic garbage.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote