Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Old Clawfoot Tub Drain missing nut - can't find size!

So,
I've got my supply lines all worked out (going to use "bathcock couplings" and run copper up to that, and get rid of the compression fitting stuff.) but still for the life of me can't seem to get this drain working.

When I pulled the tub out months ago I must have thrown away the lower nut and pipe coming out of the T. I've been to every single hardware store and plumbing supply store around.

One guy a few towns away even said he had the old 1 3/8 assembly he'd send down to the sister store for me. Finally picked it up today - it's 1 1/4! Doesn't fit!

I'm at the point where it looks like I need to buy a whole new drain assembly with 1 3/8 pipe (signature hardware has the cheapest, and is 3 days shipping to me), then either just use the nut off it, or replace the whole drain. I'm not convinced a new nut would fit my old threads, though. They're very thin, narrow threads. A 1 1/4 nut can almost be forced on, but doesn't grab. 1 1/2 is way too big. Assuming I need the 1 3/8.

How much of a can of worms would I be getting into by replacing the whole drain?

Do any of you guys have a 1 3/8" slip joint nut kicking around in your toolbox?

This is driving me totally nuts and holding up my rental unit.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote