Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

old cement utility sink

Hi,
We have an old cement utility sink in our basement in need of repair. We like the heft of this sink, so we would like to repair, rather than replace with the newer lightweight ones.
The dual bowl sink itself is in great shape. The sink strainer assembly and drain pipe need to be replaced.
The drain opening is about 2" diameter. Both bowl drains funnel together within the cement sink to a single drain pipe opening.
Even if I can get an assembly of some sort for the drain in the sink, how is a drain pipe attached to the bottom of the cement sink? (the current, corroded metal housing is embedded within the cement)

Does anyone out there work on old houses? Any suggestions?
thanks very much.

helpmyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to helpmyhusband For This Useful Post:
wolfman58 (03-15-2010)
Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

old cement utility sink

most drain assemblies are 2 pieces and unscrew from underneath to remove.
if needed, post a picture of what you have, it's so much easier for any of us here when we can see what the problem is. Po)

DM

Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #3

old cement utility sink

Hi,
I am linking 3 photos, they should be titled appropriately. In any case, they are the left drain, the right drain and the mess at the bottom of the sink.

thank you!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

old cement utility sink

can't see any photos
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
the Musigician

old cement utility sink

me neither....
Does anyone out there work on old houses?
don't we all????

DM
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

old cement utility sink

Yes, I have my own old house that I am working on. BTW, I too have one of these double/concrete sinks in my back yard. The drain part under the sink is rusted/broken off. I was planning to hook this one up again, and install faucets on it. As far as the drain goes, since it will be used outside, I was going to mount a large funnel on the underside, and connect a hose to the funnel to run the drain water out into the yard.

Bofus
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
the Musigician

old cement utility sink

bofus: was the drain molded into the cement or was it removable?

DM
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #8

old cement utility sink

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am having difficulty uploading images - obviously.
In the meantime, let's discuss this funnel idea. The hubby wants to do exactly that. Only our sink is not outside, it's in the basement, so I am seeking alternatives. Or is there a way to safely adhere the funnel to the sink?

The drain part on the bottom is also rusted and partially broken off. And it is molded into the sink.
Hopefully I can get the photo thing working shortly.
thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
the Musigician

old cement utility sink

personally, i would strive to remove the old drain and retrofit in a new one.
any gluing effort would likely leak.

DM
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #10

old cement utility sink

Nope, removal is NOT an option on my sink. The drain is molded into the concrete. If your sink is going to be inside the house (basement) then you might have a problem with the funnel idea. If you have anything connected to the indoor plumbing, then there must be a trap involved to prevent sewer gasses from backing up into the house. If a funnel were to be used, the I believe that the water would have a tendancy to over-flow the funnel before it were to drain into the trap, and then into the sewage drain. You might be able to set some sort of pipe drain (sink turned upside down), maybe uses some sort of epoxy on it to hold it. Then when dry, maybe then add some concrete to it to re-inforce and stablize it. Another words, make it air and water tight. THEN, connect a trap to it, and have it drain into the house drain pipes. You should really listen to what one of our plumbers says about this idea, to see if it would actually work. I take it that both sides use the same drain outlet???

On mine, I have none of the problems. Since it is outside, then there will be no sewer gasses to contend with, and everytime I use the sink, I'll be watering my grass (dirt). It is wasn't for me having one like yours, I would say "you have to be able to replace the drain pipe". Well, I am afraid that any type of repair may only be temporary at best. Hmmm, just don' know....

Bofus

Last edited by bofusmosby; 01-23-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #11

old cement utility sink

Hi Bofus,
Thanks for the reply.
The trap appears to be sub-floor surface. (and in-tact) Apparently, when all this was installed, no one thought about what it would take to repair. ( I have a very old house, with many oddities).
Needless to say, I think if I can get a drain pipe attached to the sink and placed into existing pipe below, it may work. Not pretty, not permanent. How long do you think an epoxy repair would hold? I guess I'd be happy if it held until the summer.
My main issue is the area under the sink to cover. The two sink drains go into one drain pipe hole. Due to the built in bracket size, I believe that the "funnel" area would need to be approx 6" in diameter at it's widest end.
I guess what I really am looking for is the best possible jury rigged solution.
Or maybe just call a plumber while the hubby is at work!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #12

old cement utility sink

Well, I use epoxy all the time, and it will hold quite well. However, everything has its limitations. With epoxy, if any undue force is applied, it may break. Thats why I suggested to then use some concrete to reinforce the pipe, so if some (or something) hits or pushes it, then the concrete will keep the pipe from moving. A trap below the floor??? Hmmm. Thats a noval idea. If you try to fasten a funnel under the sink, I am afraid that the water draining might not be as fast as the pipe drains, thus causing the water to over-flow the funnel. If you can figure out how to post some photos, I'd like to see. Maybe I can come up with something. BTW, I am NOT a plumber, so again, lets see what some of the plumbers say. Maybe thay have faced this situation before, and have a good idea that works.

Bofus
Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

old cement utility sink

Epoxy would hold it in place, as for water proofing, I wouldn't bet on epoxy to water proof it, maybe letting the epoxy set then siliconing the area. i don't like "rigging" things up to work, but you do what you gotta do. pics would be great though.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
the Musigician

old cement utility sink

if there is enough pipe underneath, perhaps you could find a PVC pipe to sleeve over the existing?
THEN use a glue to adhere it to that pipe, THEN silicone the heck out of it?
using pvc, if you used bofus' suggestion of added cement for stability, you'd not have to worry about rusting out any more.

DM
Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #15

old cement utility sink

Hi,
Alas, I think I can upload photos.
Pictured is the bottom of the sink at the drain pipe area and top view of the right bowl drain.
The bottom fixture is rusted, broken and embedded into the cement sink.
Assuming that photos are now visible, any new suggestions?
thank you!

old cement utility sink-bottom_of_sink.jpg
Name:  right_bowl_drain.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  29.8 KB