Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |

old bathtub faucet

Hey everyone... I'm working on a house built in 1936. The bathroom has a tub only and the homeowners want to add a shower. They do not want to rip out the original tile surround that goes up about 30 inches from the top of the tub. They want to build up with the surround another 30 inches. It's gone well so far and has been a pretty straight forward job. I have access to all the plumbing and that makes it easier. I ran into a kink though: The original tub faucet is more like a mobile home style faucet. It has the spout in between the hot and cold valves instead of dropped down a few inches like we find today. I didn't know that those style faucets are no longer sold--or at least not at Home Depot and Lowe's. I tried a mobile home tub faucet with a shower diverter but the threaded connection points are not long enough to go through the holes of the wall and come out the back where I can secure them. What I need is a tub faucet that has the spout in dead center of the hot and cold knobs and has a shower diverter valve on it. Does anyone know where I can find one? The chrome-plated plastic mobile home ones are not going to work. Thanks in advance!
fosgate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

old bathtub faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosgate3 View Post
I have access to all the plumbing and that makes it easier.
I ran into a kink though: The original tub faucet...

What I need is a tub faucet that has the spout in dead center of the hot and cold knobs...
What you need... is to have a chat with the customer about their 75 year old tile job.The next best bet is to find a stainless steel fab shop to make up some cover/adapter plates or maybe some sort of chase so you can install a 21st century bath/shower valve.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

old bathtub faucet

Good luck.
My first thought is this is more like a Roman style faucet with just a differant spout.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

old bathtub faucet

i've been preparing them for the possibility that we may have to redo the old tile work at that spot. what about a spout with a diverter valve that directs water flow to a hose on the side or top, like this right here: http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...55342303lg.jpg would a spout like that work for an old bathtub faucet?
fosgate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

old bathtub faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosgate3 View Post
i've been preparing them for the possibility that we may have to redo the old tile work at that spot. what about...
Find a source for CHROME PLATED brass pipe.
Buy some Chicago or T&S Commercial valves.
Do all the valve work exposed.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote