Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #1

Share |

OK I have changed my mind Copper or Pex

Many know I have been considering using CPVC to redo my sons home. After recently seeing a piece in my own attic, being used as pop off valve piping on waterheater, I decided that after 14 years it had gotten too brittle over time.

So now I am leaning to copper, yes I know more expensive and cumbersome but I feel I will have a better system than the CPVC.

Now that I have made the turn to copper, are there any left wanting to make one last push to PEX?

Thanks
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Special User

We're replumbing with Pex right now. Didn't want to be soldering in the crawspace -- a cutter, pack of rings, and crimp tool was easier to deal with down there with all the dirt and spiders. We did use copper for stub-outs though. Pex stubs just look stupid, and I don't like them flopping around when you have to shut the water off. The money we saved by using Pex vs. copper (and Pex ain't cheap -- maybe the Pex itself is, but the dozens of fittings, zillions of clips and rings, and a crimp tool add up) let us splurge on a few short sticks of upgraded L copper for the water heater and a hot water recirculating pump. Time will tell if we made the right choice...
Attached Thumbnails
OK I have changed my mind Copper or Pex-waterheater.jpg  
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

If you used pex to copper stub outs not sure why there floping around.
There's a simple nail to the stud copper flat plate that you solder the stub out to, there's another one that just snaps in place, or there's clamps that nail to the studs. If you did not attach the stub out to something then sure it's going to flop around.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Many know I have been considering using CPVC to redo my sons home. After recently seeing a piece in my own attic, being used as pop off valve piping on waterheater, I decided that after 14 years it had gotten too brittle over time.

So now I am leaning to copper, yes I know more expensive and cumbersome but I feel I will have a better system than the CPVC.

Now that I have made the turn to copper, are there any left wanting to make one last push to PEX?

Thanks
They are both good products. Installation practices/methods are what make or break them. For people with limited skills, tools and time, PEX may be the best way to go.
digitalplumber (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber

They are both good products. Installation practices/methods are what make or break them. For people with limited skills, tools and time, PEX may be the best way to go.
Crimp method or expansion connectors?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Crimp method or expansion connectors?
I've had the privilege to use crimp, cinch, and expansion methods this summer. My preference is expansion. But the Black & Decker tool is spendy. They are all good methods. There are several threads here that discuss pex. I suggest you look them up. Or you can wait awhile for others to share
digitalplumber (11-02-2012)