Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

OK Changed mind so which Pex brand

Which Pex Brand to use for re-plumb?

Where to buy?

Crimp, clasp or what?

Thanks!

digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Special User

We bought Sharkbite brand PEX from HD because it was cheapest. The 1/2" and 1" was easy to deal with. The 3/4" was a pain to work with (real stiff) though.

We also went with copper crimp rings. No scientific reason, just didn't think the clamps would hold as well. And I for sure wouldn't use "push-fit" connections!

Got the Apollo crimp tool from Lowes. Used Lowes Apollo crimp rings and fittings too, just because they are closer to our house. Zero failed crimps, fortunately.

tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, do a search for PEX or similar titles and you will find many threads. Opinions vary widely on the topic, personally I used Wirsbo tubing with Wirsbo fittings and was very happy with the results, but the tool is expensive. Read the threads, see what others think of crimp fittings and sharkbites.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, do a search for PEX or similar titles and you will find many threads. Opinions vary widely on the topic, personally I used Wirsbo tubing with Wirsbo fittings and was very happy with the results, but the tool is expensive. Read the threads, see what others think of crimp fittings and sharkbites.
I'm a fan of wirsbo as well, I have used it on 1.25" and larger, Used all 3 methods on smaller pipe- own all the tools I'll use which ever is the flavor of the day.
BTW- I tried searching "pex" on here- the word is too short and it upsets the search function.Try some of the brand names, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-14-2012), digitalplumber (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post

As much as you dislike folks that dont use the search, I dislike folks that make comments like this then go on to answer the OP.

Thanks
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote